Friday, June 16, 2017

[Book Blogger Hop] June 16th - 22nd


Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer, where you answer a question and join a "hop". The purpose is to help bloggers discover and get to know one another. 

For this week's question, Elizabeth at Silver's Reviews asks: 
How do you organize your blog in terms of what is in your side bar? Do you have categories and defined sections in your side bar?


My answer:
When I visit blogs that have way too much going on in the sidebars, I immediately close the window! So I have just one sidebar that is located on the right hand side of my page. I personally like to keep my sidebar very neat, though I wish I could figure out a few more ways to make it more customized... Someday!

I know you can all see it right there to the right, but I will break things down below if anyone is interested in diving a little deeper.

First, I have the About Me widget that lets viewers see what I look like. There is also a button here to follow me on Google+ and a link to view my Blogger profile.

Next I have my Total Page Views widget. I'm not totally sold on this appearing this high up on my page, but I was told that it is a good idea to do so when you are requesting books from publishers or authors.

Then I have one of my favorite widgets, the Blogger Followers widget! I LOVE seeing all the faces and icons of everyone that follows me on Blogger! This widget is very easy to set up on Blogger, but I have noticed that many people do not have it turned on!! If you would like to set it up, all you have to do is:
  • Go to the Blogger Stats tab,
  • Click the "0" next to "Followers,"
  • Then Blogger will walk you through the process!

After that is my Bloglovin' link and email subscription box to allow people outside of Blogger to follow me. I would like to combine these, but I haven't yet figured out how to do so... Ideally, I would like just one block where all of my follow links appear like the following from Caffeinated Reads, only with icons that are more fitting for my theme. Tea cups perhaps!

Caffeinated Reads social follow icons


Next is a space where I have listed three of my favorite bookish accounts. I REALLY need to update this soon! Since getting more involved in the online book community, I have discovered dozens of really amazing accounts!

Then I have the Bloggers Commenting Back image. This is something that actually means a lot to me. I think commenting back is incredibly important! So I try my hardest to find the blogs of anyone that has taken the time to comment on my blog and reciprocate the love!

Next is my content by label and blog archive lists. Followed by a small button for Blogger Fusion.


Thanks for reading!
What are your favorite things to see in a bloggers sidebar?

23 comments:

  1. Oooh I need to update my favorite bookish accounts too! That's a good point! I also agree about blogs with a lot of graphics and animations. It's too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking the total page views, have to give that some thought. I also really like the followers widget, fun to see the images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the followers as well! I just wish it worked cross-platform. If you need help fining the page views widget, just let me know! :)

      Delete
  3. You are very organized! I used to have a lot in my sidebar, but have cut back over the years. There's some organization there, but also some randomness. It's not something I pay much attention to, admittedly.

    I hope you have a great weekend, Erica. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should see how I organize my daily life... I'm a little obsessive haha! Everything is color coded.

      Have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, my side bar is a mess. I have my basics like subscription and recent post and comments but would like to update with more book covers to hot reviews.
    I do prefer a cleaner look and yours is doing that :)

    Dinh @Arlene's Book Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sidebars can be so tricky! My biggest struggle is that I don't code, so I don't know how to do custom stuff.

      Delete
  5. Your blog is nice and organized.

    I like to categorize things in my sidebar too.

    VERY NICE answer.

    Have a good weekend, and Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) Thank for asking this wonderful question!! I really had fun with this one!

      Delete
    2. I think it was a good question even though it was mine. :) We are getting a lot of good answers and answers that make us think about bloggers look for. :)

      Thanks, Erica.

      Delete
  6. I'm the same. Too much clutter in the sidebars makes it hard to see what's happening on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sidebar is very well thought out. I really enjoy seeing the About Me on blog sites that I visit. I'm glad you've included that. I need to work on that. Another feature that is a must-have for me is the Search feature. I use it all the time to find my own content!

    Lonna @ FLYLēF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes! I have the search at the bottom of the page...but I should probably move that up!

      Delete
  8. I like your sidebar! It's very neat. The followers is a nice idea although I don't know if those can be implemented on Wordpress blogs. Interesting nevertheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh hmm... I don't think I have seen it done on Wordpress, but I will keep an eye out! There must be a widget available somewhere!

      Delete
  9. Yes your blog is so pretty and very organized I just love when I stop by on your blog. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog hop, have a great weekend and happy blog hopping my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katiria!! :) Have a lovely weekend as well!

      Delete
  10. I prefer simple, uncluttered sidebars as well!

    Terri M., the Director
    http://secondrunreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree that a clean sidebar is a MUST!! I really dislike when the sidebar extends beyond the page. If I have to keep scrolling because your sidebar never ends, then I'm definitely OUT. Your sidebar is definitely neat and organized! :-) I can customize the sidebar for my blog, so it helps me keep it nice and organized too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I've immediately closed so many blogs when I see that their sidebars are too much. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete