Tuesday, April 25, 2017

[Top 10 Tuesday] Things That Will Make Me Instantly Not Want To Read A Book

Top 10 Tuesday Things That Will Make Me Instantly Not Want To Read A Book

For last week's Top 10 Tuesday, I wrote about the things that make me instantly want to read a book. This week's prompt is the complete opposite of that.

Enjoy!

Top 10 Tuesday: Things That Will Make Me Instantly Not Want To Read A Book

Top 10 Tuesday is created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


10. Poor cover design.
Yet again, I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and that sometimes cover designs can be really poor representations of the book itself. After all, I have really hated many covers but absolutely LOVED the story inside many, many times! But I know that there are times when I have passed on a book simply because of the horrible cover...


9. When a book is set in high school.
There are plenty of occasions where I have read a book set in high school that I really loved! But in general, I tend to have a really hard time relating to the characters simply because I am in my late 20's. So I get very bored with the story very quickly. This is especially the case when it comes to YA Romance and all of the insta-love that is involved.


8. Lack of world building.
I don't mind being dropped right into the action of a story if it is well written! But far too many times, I have picked up a book and gotten really annoyed because I am either very lost or just cannot imagine the world the book is set in.


7. Lots of info-dumping.
The only thing worse than a lack of world building is the use info dumping! I cannot stand books that give you huge blocks of text to try to set up the world. I find info dumping to be so dry and uninteresting. Now, don't get me wrong! I know that info dumping can be done well, but I have very rarely seen that occur. I prefer when the worlds or stories are set up in a more natural way that doesn't need info dumping.


6. High use of profanity.
Personally, I do not swear. However, I don't mind when others do in the slightest. But sometimes when I am reading, it's just too much for me.


5. Finding out that a main topic of the book is about cheating.
On rare occasion, I have really enjoyed a book even when this is a topic. But generally, if I hear that cheating is a major topic of a book, I will remove it from my TBR list.


4. Poor font choice.
I'm so happy that this has only happened a few times. But it's a major deal breaker for me. If the font is too difficult to read or gives me a headache just looking at it, I will put the book down.


3. When a book is labeled erotica.
I just have zero interest in this genre. I don't mind romance books with the occasional sex scene. But when it gets too graphic it can be too much for me. Mostly because I feel grossed out about the situation. Example, Getting Wrapped Up *gags*


2. When the book synopsis itself has typos.
Never a good sign...


1. When I realize that I am editing more than reading.
Closely related to the line above. I understand that mistakes happen. Especially when I am reading a book for an honest review because in many cases there, the author has not sent their book off to an editor. But when I find that I am not enjoying the story at all because I am too busy writing down edits, I will put the book down.


Thanks for reading!
What are some things that make you remove a book from your TBR?
SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of excessive profanity either, especially when it's every 5 minutes. And I totally judge by covers even though I try not to! After all it is often the first thing that makes us reach for the book and read the synopsis...

    Lots of editing errors (or general lack of editing) can be dealbreakers for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! All so very frustrating! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This is a great list, Erica! Erotica made my list too. I don't mind romance or even steamy sex scenes necessarily, but I want more story than actual sex in a book. Lack of world building can hinder my enjoyment of a book. I generally don't know that ahead of time though and so often will find out after I've already started it.

    Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! :) Yeah, a lot of the things that made my list can only be seen once I've started reading. I'm SO glad I started a DNF policy for myself so I am better able to decide when I want to stop reading a book rather than pushing through.

    Thanks for stoping by! Have a lovely week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/top-ten-tuesday-104/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people have mentioned bad covers in their lists this week. I have to agree that when the cover looks like it was done by a high schooler learning photoshop it's an instant "nope."

    My TTT: http://books.thetechchef.net/top-ten-tuesday-22/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I also hate it when the book has so many grammatical errors and you're so busy fixing the mistakes than reading the story.

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drives me nuts!! I recently read a book where the main characters name was misspelled... :( Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Gah - info dumping is the worst. I cannot take it and I find my eyes glazing over the moment it starts happening, which is so unhelpful because the information is probably important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I only know a few authors that handle it well. But I definitely prefer when all the info is spread out a little better!

      Delete