Wednesday, March 8, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] My Favorite Science Fiction Books

[Top 5 Wednesday] My Favorite Science Fiction Books

I had such a hard time with this week's topic because Science Fiction is one of my favorite genres! While some of my picks below can also be considered "fantasy," I chose them simply because they are all on my Sci-Fi shelf.

Top Five Wednesday is hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. For those of you that are interested in taking part, check out the Goodreads group here: Top 5 Wednesday.

Enjoy!

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Science Fiction Books


This week's prompt:

Favorite Science Fiction & Fantasy Books *BooktubeSFF Awards Crossover Topic!* 
--In collaboration with the BooktubeSFF Awards, talk about your favorite science fiction and fantasy books of all time!


5. The Fireman by Joe Hill 

In The Fireman, the world is faced with a pandemic of spontaneous combustion. No one knows where the infection came from or how it travels. The only thing that they do know is that they can see that someone is infected when they have black and gold markings on their bodies; they call this Dragonscale. From there, it is usually just a short time before the marked person suddenly burst into flames.

The idea of the Dragonscale (and later learning how it travels to infect the hosts) absolutely fascinated me. The writing style was fantastic. Many times throughout the story (and right up until the very end!) I felt myself getting wicked anxious. No matter what was going on, I needed to read on to see what happened next. I really loved or absolutely despised each of the well developed characters- there didn't seem to be an in-between (which I love). I also loved the dashes of humor and pop culture references mixed in with the horror and action. The storyline over all was incredibly well-paced. Sure, there were some bits that could be considered "slow", but I felt that after all the action, these slower parts were refreshing!


4. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 

Ready Player One is a dystopian novel that takes place in 2044. The world is a very nasty place so people use technology to enter a virtual utopia called OASIS. In OASIS, a user can do whatever they want and be whoever they want, but their time spent in OASIS can have a negative affect on their "real world" live. It is well known that OASIS creator, James Halliday, has hidden a series of puzzles in the virtual world. If a user can solve all of these puzzles, they will receive a massive fortune and remarkable power. Though many have tried, no one has yet solved them. One day, Wade comes across the first puzzle and his world is forever changed.

This book is so incredible. I was immediately hooked and had a very hard time putting it down. This CNN review nails it: “An addictive read...part intergalactic scavenger hunt, part romance and all heart.” I would recommend this book to gamers and non-gamers alike. Also, to fans of 80's movies and music, you will LOVE all of the references thrown around.


3. Vicious by V.E. Schwab

Vicious is about two characters named Victor and Eli. These two started out as college roommates who shared interest in researching adrenaline and near-death experiences. As an outcome of combining the two, they discovered that they could create supernatural abilities. But of course, things go horribly wrong.

I could not put this book down. I absolutely loved the storyline, the organization of the timeline, the writing, and the quick flow of this book. The characters were all incredible. And I absolutely loved learning about the two main characters backstories as well as their powers. I need to re-read this book very soon to get read for the release of book two!


2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Arthur Dent is having a very bad day. A construction crew has shown up to demolish his house. Little does poor Arthur know, his house is just one tiny bit that is scheduled for destruction...the Earth itself is also on the chopping block. Right before the Earth is blow up, Ford Prefect shows up and snags Arthur as they catch a ride into space. From there, the two go on a marvelous adventure.

I LOVED this book! The characters were wonderful, the storyline was interesting, and the casual interruption to have the Hitchhikers Guide narrate to teach you more about the galaxy was perfect. Marvin, the poor depressed robot, was my favorite.


1. Prey by Michael Crichton

Prey is about an experiment in the Nevada desert that went horribly wrong. In the lab, scientists were working on nanoparticles. But the bots became much more intelligent than they ever could have predicted. A cloud of these self-sustaining and self-reproducing nanoparticles escape from the laboratory and begin to hunt down humans. While multiple attempts have been made to shut them down, nothing seems to be working.

This was the first Sci-Fi book that I read and really enjoyed. After finishing it, I went down a rabbit hole of reading; I needed to read more of both this genre as well as other books from this author. To this day, Michael Crichton is still one of my all time favorite authors and I have a whole shelf dedicated to his work.


Thanks for reading! 
Gosh that was so difficult! What are your favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy picks?


For more reading: 

12 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about V.E Schwab so I might pick Vicious up soon!

    Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes! Her writing is lovely. I would highly recommend it! :)

      Delete
  2. I want to read Ready Player One this year!

    Did you already read Illuminae?! Great SCI-FI as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! :) And no, Illuminae is on my TBR though! Hopefully I can get to it soon.

      Delete
  3. Ready Player One! I still need to re-read that book! It's been like three years and I remember loving it so much. Great list E!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were right! Added The Fireman, Ready Player One, plus Vicious... they all sound so good. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy those books! :)

      Delete
  5. All of them but Prey are on my wish list. I own Vicious though, so hopefully I can get to that one soon at least. I'm glad you included The Fireman. I LOVE Joe Hill. Need to read more by him.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently purchased a copy of Vicious so I can re-read it before book two comes out :)

      I love Joe Hill as well! Other than The Fireman, I have read:
      Horns- 5 stars
      NOS4A2- 5 stars
      Heart-Shaped Box - 4 stars, but I definitely need to reread this one because I can't remember much about it

      Delete
  6. Vicious is so good! I love how it plays with the concept of good and evil and really played with our minds!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I cannot wait to see where the character go in book two!

      Delete