Wednesday, March 22, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Favorite Angsty Romances


Romance is a genre that I am incredibly picky about. The relationship in a romance novel needs to be cute and heartwarming for me. I have a blog post where I discuss my favorite romance tropes, but there are a ton more that I absolutely cannot stand. For example, I can no longer read a book when there is cheating or other poor treatment of either character involved.

And to be clear, I am picking from all kinds of angst here; some is "classic" angst, some high school level angst, while others are simply the type of angst that makes me want to scream "JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER" at the characters.

So, that being said, in this post I have included five of my favorite romances that have a healthy dash of angst.

Top Five Wednesday is hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. For those of you that are interested in taking part, check out the Goodreads group here: Top 5 Wednesday.

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Angsty Romances


This week's prompt: March 22nd- Favorite Angsty Romances 


5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
The romance here did not take up much of the book. It was a classic case of shyness, temporary denial, and misunderstanding where I just wanted someone to point out the obvious love interest to the two love birds.


4. Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie 
The romance between Emma and Dominique was the type of cutesy romance that I really enjoy. However, there were a few times I wanted to scream at the two characters to just TALK to each other! 


3. The Duff by Kody Keplinger
I really enjoyed the relationship between Bianca Piper and Wesley Rush. At first the two seemed like total opposites, one a cynical "off the radar" type while the other was a cliched popular "bad boy." While I did really love the way that Bianca and Wesley communicated, there was still plenty of angst involved because after all, they were in high school.


2. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
This is the first book that I read where there was a very angsty teen romance. At the time, I was also a teen, so I could really related to the main character. Not with dating a vampire and having a best friend that is a werewolf of course... but for the typical teenage drama. I have yet to reread this series, so I'm not sure what my thoughts would be about it today. But for now, this book still holds a special place in my heart.


1.  To Be Or Not To Be: A Choosable Path Adventure
As if the original play by Shakespeare wasn’t dramatic enough, this book brings the drama to a whole new level! The humor and ridiculous situations that were added in to this book were so much fun read about.


Thanks for reading!
What are your favorite romance reads with a healthy level of angst?
SaveSave

4 comments:

  1. #1--you really made me stop and think, but you are right, of course! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Duff is such a great answer, because it's the best kind of teenage angst. Such a good book!

    ReplyDelete