Tuesday, March 7, 2017

[Graphic Novel Review] Rat Queens, Vol. 3

Rat Queens, Vol. 3 graphic novel review

After reading, and really disliking Volume 2, I almost didn't read this one. But because I had already gotten it from the library, I gave it a shot.

I'm SO glad I did! I enjoyed this one much more than the last one.

Check out my reviews for:
Rat Queens Vol. 1.
Rat Queens Vol. 2.

Rat Queens, Vol. 3: Demons

by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Tamra Bonvillain (Illustrator), Tess Fowler (Illustrator)

Rat Queens, Vol. 3: Demons photo

From a storyline point of view, I really enjoyed this volume! Though there wasn't a ton going on, I was really hooked into the story this time. I absolutely loved the scenes with the dragon. I also enjoyed all the situations that the friends got themselves into and how they really banded together.

The vibe I was getting from all of the characters seemed on par with the first volume, which was so refreshing. Though Hannah was a bit of a stuck up mess in this one...and toward the end she really went off the rails.

rat queens vol 2 panel photo

Beware, the negatives:
But then there's the artwork... it's a new artist and her art seems much more cartoonish than the other two volumes. I didn't like it at all. It just didn't have the same gritty feel of the first volume and part of the second volume.

My other complaint about the artwork is the "sexy factor." The Rat Queens always had sexy attire, but this time it just seemed silly. I mean, just take a peek at Dee's dress- it doesn't fully cover her butt. She's a FIGHTER, why would that apparel make any sense?!


My final thoughts:
Overall, I would recommend this volume! I gave it four stars!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment