Thursday, March 16, 2017

[Book Tag] Beauty and the Beast Tag

beauty and the beast book tag

I grew up on an island off the coast of Maine. It was lovely there, but technology seemed to take quite a while to reach us. I mean, it's 2017, and the town still doesn't have broadband internet.

My family didn't have cable until I was eight or nine. So to keep my brother and I occupied, my mom would go to "the mainland" and buy us the latest Disney VHS. We watched them over and over again. I loved so many of them, but Beauty and the Beast was always one of my favorites. I still have the lovely music "boxes" my family bought for me:


In honor of the live action film being released in theaters tomorrow, I wanted to post this book tag. (Thanks for tagging me, Heather's Reading Hideaway!)

The Beauty and the Beast Book Tag


“Tale As Old As Time” – A popular theme, trope or setting you will never get bored of reading.

Whodunit's: a crime story in which the identity of the murderer is not revealed until the very end.

As many as I have already read, I just cannot get enough of the whodunit theme! Mary Higgins Clark is one of my favorite authors that uses this theme time and time again. Critics will say that MHC's books are "predictable" or "unoriginal" because they all follow the same basic path. But I love them! I love watching the story unfold as I try to guess who the "bad guy" is!


Belle – A book you bought for it’s beautiful cover that’s just as beautiful inside too.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling

The cover of this book is just so beautiful. I love everything about it; the overall design, the typography, the illustrations, and the colors! I didn't know that the inside of the book was also going to have illustrations (by MinaLima!), so I was very pleasantly surprised when I started reading.


Beast – A book you didn’t expect much from but pleasantly surprised you.

The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain

I picked this book up simply because I saw it shelved as a romance on Goodreads. Because I'm still very hesitant with the genre, I wasn't expecting much, but I ended up absolutely adoring this story! Check out my full review here


Gaston – A book everyone loves that you don’t.

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

This book has a 3.96 rating on Goodreads (as of 2/17/17). Anyone that I know personally, watch on BookTube, or follow on Blogger or Wordpress absolutely rave about this book.  But it was just a miss for me. I didn't enjoy reading it. I thought that it was so slow, the continuation for both the timeline and character traits didn't flow well, and there were a number of YA cliches that I didn't really care for.


Lefou – A loyal sidekick you can’t help but love more than their counter part.

Samwise Gamgee

I just can't help it, I adore Sam! He is so lovely and loyal. I love all of his dialogue. I would happily read a retelling of this series from Sam's perspective.


Mrs Potts, Chip, Lumier & Cogsworth – A book that helped you through a difficult time or that taught you something valuable.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

This book will always hold a special place in my heart. I brought my copy with me when I went to England for a month-long academic program. It was the longest that I had been away from home at that point in my life. When I was feeling homesick, scared, or lonely, I would pick up this book and read for a while. I was so thankful that this book was able to captivate me in a way that made me forget about my other negative feelings.
  

“Something There” – A book or a series that you weren't into at first but picked up towards the end.

Welcome to Deadland by Zachary Tyler Linville 

When I first started reading this book, I didn't like it. I had issues with the formatting because it bounced back and forth between two timelines (before and after) AND rotated between three POV's.  I was also very thrown off because this was pitched to me as a straight up zombie novel. But there are a LOT of "before" chapters. So the book was really half college-age romantic drama, a quarter family drama, and a quarter zombie novel. I also didn't really care about any of the characters to even begin with. So I didn't care to learn more about their back stories...

However, after a short while, I was totally hooked. I found that I was feeling more invested in the characters as we got to know them both before and after, and I looked forward to learning how they were all connected and how they ended up where they were! Once I was hooked, I couldn't put this book down!


“Be Our Guest” – A fictional character you’d love to have over for dinner.

Mark Watney from The Martian by Andy Weir

Mark Watney is by far the best character I have read about in a long time. Not only is his story absolutely incredible, he's also hysterical. I would just love to witness him in a normal setting rather than an intense life-or-death situation.


Thanks for reading!
If you haven't yet been tagged, but would like to do this one; consider yourself tagged! 
SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Awwww Samwise!! He is definitely the best character. Also - I still need to read The Martian! I own it and I still haven't picked it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I hope you love it when you pick it up!!

      Delete