Sunday, March 5, 2017

[Book Blogger Hop] March 3rd - 9th


Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer, where you answer a question and join a "hop". The purpose is to help bloggers discover and get to know one another. 

This Week's Question:
When you start reading a novel, do you prefer to be plunged right into the action, or do you prefer a slower, more descriptive introduction to the plot and characters? 

My Answer:
When it all comes down to it, I think it depends on the genre of book, how the author has written the overall storyline, and how the timeline is organized.

Usually, I do enjoy being plunged right into the action because that usually gets me hooked right away. I love when book start off at a run, and then the narrator chimes in to say something along the lines of, "You're probably wondering how I found myself in this situation. Well..." and then we get the full backstory. I also enjoy when we pick right up in the middle of the action, but then slowly get flashbacks here and there until we have gotten the full story.

What I don't appreciate is when we pick up in the middle of the action and have no idea what is happening. For a short time, I can roll with it. But after a few pages (or worse, a few chapters), if I'm still totally lost, I will put the book down.

Here are a few examples of where I thought jumping right into the action worked really well:

  • Bird Box by Josh Malarian
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
  • The Martian by Andy Weir
  • You Belong to Me by Mary Higgins Clark 

Thanks for reading!
What are some other books you've read that start out right in the middle of the action?

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Oooh Bird Box was so spooky! I need to try reading The Graveyard Book again. I remember it being slow in the beginning! I am thinking I picked it up at the wrong time, which made it hard to be invested. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Graveyard Book is definitely slow! But I would highly recommend giving it another go! There's also a graphic novel you gotta check out! :)

      Delete