Sunday, February 19, 2017

[Book Review] Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman book review

If you are picking up this book only because you love this show, I think you are probably going to be disappointed.

This is a memoir, not a work of fiction. So while there are some bits of dialogue, the majority is just blocks of narrational text. And of course, everything is based solely from Piper's point of view because it is her memoir.

I'm not a huge memoir fan, but I did enjoy this book!

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman 


orange is the new black by piper kerman book photo


I really enjoyed that the book starts with a young Piper, who is right in the middle of a bad situation; she's standing in a baggage claim waiting for her luggage which is full of drug money that she is smuggling into another country. Even though I know what was going to happen, I still felt a bit anxious. As the story continues, we see what her life was with Nora for a brief time before Piper distances herself and works to get her life back on the right track. We then follow her "downfall" as she waits for court dates and sentencing. That all happens in the first 31 pages. The rest of the book focuses on the thirteen months that Piper spent in prison.

Right from the start of the book, I just could not make myself care about the main character/author. However, I did really respect her patience and ability to take a step back before she ever seemed to let her anger get the best of her. And bravo to her for putting together this book.

Of course, I cannot imagine what it would be like in prison, but it felt to me like many things were just glossed over. However, I also understand that the main point of her memoir was to highlight relationships and general compassion. Because of that, I tried to keep myself focused on that theme rather than letting my mind wander into other areas that she just wasn't highlighting.

While I enjoyed reading this book, I also felt like the author was trying to make me get something more out of it. But I wasn't sure what that something was, exactly... I also had some issues with the flow of the text. Some things were a little repetitive from time to time. I found myself reading some bits that I thought would have been more effective in a different chapter. I also found myself getting a bit bored in the third quarter of the book, so it took me a while to actually finish reading it.


My final thoughts:
This was definitely a good read. I would recommend it for sure! But personally, I will not be rereading it. I gave this book three stars.


Thanks for reading!
If you have read this book, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment