Wednesday, January 25, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Favorite Underrated Books

top 5 wednesday favorite underrated books

I recently learned about Top 5 Wednesday after watching a YouTube video by Thoughts on Tomes. I was immediately interested and I am so excited to dive in! Though I may not complete every single Top 5 Wednesday, I am really looking forward to seeing the new prompts for February!

For those of you that are interested in taking part, check out the Goodreads group here: Top 5 Wednesday.

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Underrated Books


This week's prompt:
Give some love to those books that aren't as widely talked about. Those hidden gems. Those books that used to be popular, but people have forgotten about and still deserve some love. 

5. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

This is my all time favorite book! I get so sad when I talk books with new friends and they tell me they have never heard of this one.

It is such an amazing coming of age story where the main character, Peekay, deals with racism as he fights for survival and general self preservation. There is also a lovely focus on boxing, thanks to a man named Hoppie Groenewald that Peekay meets on a train. I would highly recommend this book!


4. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

We all know the King of Horror. But one book that I never hear people talking about is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. This is one of the first horror stories that I read that really stuck in my mind. To this day, I cannot go out into the woods (no matter how isolated or embarrassingly sparse the tree cover) I think of this book and feel a twinge of anxiety.

This book is about a nine-year-old girl named Trisha that goes for a walk along a branch of the Appalachian Trail with her mother and brother. While her mother and brother are arguing, Trisha strays off the path to pee but ends up getting very lost.


3. On Living by Kerry Egan

This book was published on October 25th, 2016. The week it came out, I heard quite a bit of buzz in all of my bookish podcasts. But then, much to my dismay, the buzz quickly disappeared.  So I am adding it to this top five list because I would love to recommend it to everyone reading this post.

This book was written by a hospice chaplain. However, as the book description says; it "isn’t a book about dying—it’s a book about living.”

All of the lessons in On Living hit me a lot harder than I was expecting! It's hopeful.
It's heartbreaking. And i
t's beautiful. I think this book is a must read for all.


2. Harvest by Tess Gerritsen

When discussing mysteries and thrillers, I always bring up Tess Gerritsen. Many people I know are aware of the tv show, Rizzoli & Isles, but they didn’t know it was based on a book series. While Harvest is not a part of that series, it is the book by Tess Gerritsen that I steer people toward first.

Harvest is the first book that Tess Gerritsen published back in 1996. It is a medical thriller that absolutely shocked me when I read it back in high school. Be warned, once you pick it up, you will not want to put it down. And make sure to read it with plenty of lights on!


1. Relief Map by Rosalie Knecht 

When I saw that there are only 208 ratings, and 56 reviews (as of 1/20/17) for this book on Goodreads, I was shocked! This book was published on March 28th, 2016 and though I heard a little buzz about it back in March, I feel like it completely fell off readers radar.

I absolutely loved Relief Map! It was a very quick read; so if you're looking for a book to finish in a day or so, this is a great one. The writing was beautiful. The storyline was quick and followed a very simple path. The characters were interesting, especially from the small town standpoint. I really enjoyed the anxiety that this book provoked because while it was a bit creepy, it wasn't over the top.


Thanks for reading!
Have you read any of these books? What books do you wish were more widely discussed?

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Top 5 Wednesday! That Stephen King book sounds really good but I don't know if I would be able to get through a King novel without having nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I've had a few people tell me that this specific Stephen King book is one of the "lighter" ones when it comes to horror...but I would totally disagree. This one was far more scary to me than others of his!

      Delete
  2. Great list Erica! I loved The Power of One! All of Bryce Courtney's books are outstanding, he was such a good storyteller, but that one would have to be his best! I'll have to check out that Stephen King book, and On Living sounds interesting, too!

    ReplyDelete