Saturday, January 21, 2017

[Graphic Novel Review] Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline graphic novel review

I've been meaning to get to this graphic novel for quite a while now. So when I stumbled across it at my local library, I had to snag it!

Coraline by Neil Gaiman, Illustrated by P. Craig Russell


coraline book image with buttons

This was a fun read! The main storyline was all there. The creepiness factor carried over well. However, I thought that the pacing of the story was a bit funky... especially at the beginning.


I also just didn't really care for the illustrations, and that had a major effect on my overall feelings about this graphic novel. Some panels I liked more than others, but most just felt like they were lacking. But perhaps P. Craig Russell's style just isn't for me.

Here are a couple of examples of pages I enjoyed:



My favorite line:
When you’re scared but you do it anyway, that’s brave.


My final thoughts: 
Overall, I thought this was a fun read. But I don't think I would pick this one up again. I gave this book three stars.


Thanks for reading! 
What is your favorite graphic novel?
SaveSave
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading this graphic novel in college and loving it! The art is so great and it's so interesting because I cannot help but picture the animation from the movie when I read it!

    ReplyDelete