Friday, July 14, 2017

[Bookish Discussion] 7 Books That Lived Up To The Hype

Bookish Discussion 7 Books That Lived Up To The Hype

Book hype always makes me a bit nervous. I really try to distance myself a bit and start a book only when my expectations of it have leveled out. Sometimes this works, but of course, sometimes it doesn't.

The following are seven books (in no particular order) that I thought totally lived up to the hype.


7 Books That Lived Up To The Hype


Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
I had heard so many reviewers absolutely raving about this one. But because it sounded like it was filled with rich mom drama, I was very hesitant. I decided to pick it up on a whim before my boyfriend and I left for a trip and I was very pleasantly surprised! This book drew me in and didn't let me go! I was so hooked that the hours that we spent on the airplanes flew right by!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I had friends telling me that I needed to read this book for years! One day a friend showed up at my door, shoved the series in my hands, and demanded that I read them. Luckily, that was the first day of a three day weekend where I had absolutely no work, and had already done my school assignments for the week. I sat in my room and read through the entire series that weekend.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
When I read this book for the first time, I absolutely loved it. It was a book that I immediately recommended to everyone I knew! I have been feeling the urge to reread it lately, but I'm so worried that I have grown out of this genre and won't enjoy it nearly as much as I did the first time around.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer 
I've always been a sucker for a fairy tale retelling, but this one definitely takes the cake! I absolutely loved the twist that the author gave the story. When I completed reading it, I couldn't wait to dive into the next book of the series.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
I had watched the Fight Club movie so many times without having any idea that it was based off of a book. I was so incredibly embarrassed when I found out! So while I wasn't aware of the hype regarding the book until very late in the game, I definitely think this one lives up to the cult classic level of hype!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
This was another book that I had no idea existed, though I had seen the movie dozens of times! When I finally got around to reading it, I was kicking myself over how long it took. This is one of my all time favorite books!

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
I didn't learn that this book had a high level of hype until after I had read it. When I read it, I was so in love with the story! I loved the main character and all of the 80's pop culture references. So when I learned about the hype, my only thought was, "Yeah, that makes sense!" I definitely need to reread this one before the movie comes out!


Thanks for reading!
What books do you personally think lived up to they hype around them?

24 comments:

  1. So many good books on your list - I was really hyped up when I read Ready Player One and I absolutely loved it, too. Still need to get to Big Little Lies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love Big Little Lies as much as I did! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Ready Player One yet, but I'm looking forward to it! I think I am the only person who didn't like The Fault in Our Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you love it! I know a couple people that really hated FIOS. I think that one really depends on your age when you read it. I'm pretty sure I may hate it now that I'm a bit older. That's why I'm so hesitant to reread it and risk losing the magic I felt with the first read.

      Delete
  3. This is a great list!!! I still need to read Hitchhiker's! I keep looking at it on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hunger Games will always be my favorite of the series, after that I wasn't as fond of the other books. I will never forget that book and neither will my kiddo. We both loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure!! I need to reread it soon!

      Delete
  5. Great list, Erica! I totally agree on Cinder, The Hunger Games and the Fault in Our Stars!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This list has a lot of movie books that I have on my Need to Read List! Glad to know there are some books that live up to the hype! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinder (along with all of Marissa's books) remain on my list of novels I've yet to read (I know) and I've heard interesting (mostly good) things about Ready Player One! Great discussion piece, Erica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you love the Lunar Chronicles and Ready Player One when you get to them! :)

      Delete
  8. Cinder was brilliant. I was so worried because I don't usually have much patience for sci fi kind of books but it was everything I was told it would be. The Hunger Games too, I remember it really got me into reading. I couldn't put it down from the moment I picked them up. Great post, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!! Thanks for stoping by! :)

      Delete
  9. What a great list I read three books from your list that are my absolute favorites. Thank you so much for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy based on this list. I've been going back and forth about reading it for sometime. I remembered it was on sale for kindle yesterday so I just went and checked and it's still on sale! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, watched the series when it was first out and I was just a kid. I've got all his books and even bought them on Audible - I love them so much!

    Thanks, now I've got more books to add to my TBR list!!! The Fault in Our Stars - is one I'd love to read. I've just checked it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I have a leather bound copy of his books, but I haven't been able to read them all yet. That's one of my goals for this year though! :)

      Delete
  12. Cinder and the Lunar Chronicles definitely lived up to the hype for me! Unfortunately though, I couldn't like TFiOS or The Hunger Games much, so those weren't winners for me :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer! Those are both books I'm terrified to reread. I have a gut feeling that I won't like them nearly as much as I did on my first read through.

      Delete