Wednesday, June 14, 2017

[Graphic Novel Review] The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins by Renae De Liz, Ray Dillon

Graphic Novel Review of The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins by Renae De Liz, Ray Dillon

This was a fun read! I hadn't read any comics about Wonder Woman before, so this was a great introduction!


The Legend of Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Origins 

by Renae De Liz, Ray Dillon (inker/colorist/letterer)

Book synopsis: 
In the beginning, there was only chaos. But Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons, saw a better future--and eventually, her daughter would be destined to bring that new world to life. Before her ultimate fate unfolds, though, Diana of Themyscira must learn the important lessons of an Amazonian childhood!


My thoughts:
I really enjoyed the overall story line of this collection. Learning about Diana's childhood and how she ended up training and then leaving home later on was interesting. Then of course seeing how she became Wonder Woman and then seeing her in action was great! But unfortunately the pacing was a bit slow and some of the transitions were very abrupt. Because of this, I wasn't ever really "hooked," but I did enjoy the read.

The artwork and coloring was so lovely. Though to me, some panels seemed rushed because the level of detail wasn't consistent with the majority of the other pages... But here are just two examples of bits that I really loved:



I really appreciated the little details that were included in some panels. Just one example is the bubbles that form a crown in the water above Diana's head here when she was contemplating her future:


Then we have the characters... I liked Etta, but sometimes she seemed too silly. Don't get me wrong, I really liked her character! I found myself laughing a lot, but sometimes it was just too much. I do want to note that as a best friend, she was incredible! Her loyalty to Diana was wonderful.

I felt that Steve's role could have been a bit more developed; he just seemed like a minor character rather than the impactful one I think he should have been. His character had such little impact on me while reading this that I actually had to Google his name writing this review...

Then of course there is the main character, Diana. I liked her, but I definitely didn't love her. She just seemed a bit off, overall. For example, her reactions to seeing a man for the first time and then seeing everything in the outside world were very underwhelming. I definitely expected her to be more shocked or confused than she was. Her communication also seemed to be lacking to me. She went from sharing everything with her best friend, no matter how crazy it seemed, to totally clamming up. 

However, I was very excited to see Diana fighting off of the island for the first time! 


I really enjoyed a lot of the humor included in this volume. For example:




My final thoughts:
Overall, I enjoyed reading this. I would definitely recommend it to readers of any age. But unfortunately for me, this just seems a bit forgettable...which I really hate to say. Perhaps if I were to read more works about Wonder Woman I would feel differently. We shall see! 

I gave this collection three stars.


Thanks for reading!
What is your favorite DC hero?

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to go and see this movie today! Also, the artwork here looks exceptionally beautiful. I am glad the storyline was good to match it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I hope you love it!! I haven't had the chance to go see it yet.

      Delete