Saturday, June 10, 2017

[Comic Review] Love Is Love Anthology

Love Is Love Anthology comic review

Grab your tissues. This is an emotional read and such a powerful collection. I highly urge everyone to go grab a copy right away!

Sales of this comic benefit the survivors and victims of the Orlando Pulse shooting as well as their families.



Love Is Love:

A comic book anthology to benefit the survivors of the Orlando Pulse shooting


This anthology is made up of wonderful pieces of work such as poems, illustrations, watercolors, graphic design, comic panels, personal stories, quotes, text messages, dedications, quotes, songs; This collection has it all! Each page also had a different style and message; many were messages of love and hope, but some were more negative and really called out a number of issues.

As with any anthology, there was some work in here that I absolutely adored, and other work that I didn’t personally care for. I was truly blown away by many of the pieces! I’m not one to cry while reading, but this one really hit hard and I found myself reaching for the tissues a number of times.


Beware, the negatives:
However, I do have two main complaints about this collection.

The first is that there wasn’t enough own-voiced work. Don’t get me wrong, there was a lot in here that I absolutely loved. But a large portion of the collection was from the perspective of straight individuals and how they saw the news of the attack, how they reacted, how they told their children, and et cetera. Some of these stories were powerful, yes, but some of them definitely could (and probably should) have been left out.

My second complaint is that I felt this collection was very rushed. It seems like the organizers just accepted whatever was sent in without taking the time to really evaluate the work (like spell check in one case) and think about how each piece related to the overall message. Because of this, many of the pieces were incredibly repetitive. If there had been more organization, I think this could have really opened up more doors and gotten a better variety of work in there.


My favorite line:
“The law had finally caught up to love."


Pages that I loved (POTENTIAL SPOILERS):








My final thoughts:
I gave this collection three stars. If you have read this, I would love to hear what you thought!

2 comments: