Saturday, May 27, 2017

[Graphic Novel Review] Lumberjanes Vol. 4: Out Of Time

Graphic Novel Review of Lumberjanes Vol. 4: Out Of Time

Lumberjanes Vol. 4 was definitely my least favorite volume of the series so far. Of course, it was still a fun read and there was plenty that I enjoyed! I just didn't like the art very much... and that really affected my overall feeling about this one.

Lumberjanes volume 4 Out Of Time cover

Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time 

by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis (Co-Creator), 
Maarta Laiho (Colorist), Aubrey Aiese (Letterer), Brooke A. Allen (Illustrator)

Summary: 
In this issue, Jen gets separated from the girls during a freak blizzard in the middle of the summer. Luckily, the girls are able to get to safety while Jen is rescued by a woman that has ties to the Lumberjanes. Jen loves the peacefulness of her rescuers home, but things may not be as safe as Jen thinks. This woman has an obsession with hunting animals from the forest and stuffing them. But her next kill may put all of the campers lives at risk.


My thoughts:
Overall, I thought that the storyline in this issue was interesting! Even though it jumped between two different groups, it flowed very well. The pacing was quick, but not rushed. I really enjoyed that we got to learn a little bit more about the history of the camp and the wooded area around it.

As always, I loved seeing the shenanigans that these characters got themselves into. I also really enjoyed the continuation of all the pop-culture references, especially when they weren't super obvious.

Examples of an obvious reference:

Lumberjanes volume 4 frozen pop culture reference

And an example of a less-obvious reference:

Lumberjanes volume 4 Lord of the rings pop culture reference

Then there was this panel that made me chuckle:

Lumberjanes volume 4 donuts

I liked the scenes with the Grootslang a lot more than anything else in this issue. One panel specifically totally caught me off guard!! And per usual the violence was very exaggerated. With any other comic it wouldn't have makes sense, but in this one, the ridiculousness totally works.

POTENTIAL SPOILER HERE
*
*
*
*
*
*
One very interesting story development that occurred in this volume is that Joe's parents call and seem to think that they've only been at camp for less than half a week. But of the campers it seems much longer!
*
*
*
*
*
*

Beware, the negatives: 
I cruised through this volume much faster than the others volumes because I just didn't care to really look at the art... which really bummed me out.

Maybe it was just the specific copy that I got... But the artwork in this one was definitely the worst of the series so far. It was even more cartoonish than the last and the quality went way downhill. 

For example there's a character named Barney who has a cat, and most of the time I couldn't even tell what the heck it was supposed to be. Also, in more than a few panels I could see the lines left over that seemed like they were from the original sketch. Specifically there's one side view of Abigail and then another of Jo that really stood out to me. Their noses are triangles but you can still see the line that marked the edge of their faces that I shouldn't be there. In the panel with Abigail, the rest of the lines around her face were super blurry. 

The coloring quality wasn't great either, which again, could just be my copy. But there was a lot of color overlapping strangely, and color showing up outside of the lines. 

Overall, it wasn't terrible. All of the sloppiness just drove me crazy.

Lumberjanes volume 4 spread


My final thoughts:
I still enjoyed reading this and gave it three stars! I just hope the artwork gets better or that it was just my specific copy. I also really loved this cover:

Lumberjanes cover design



Thanks for reading!
Have you read this volume? Can you tell me if the artwork was just poor printing of my specific copy? Or have I been spoiled by the incredible artwork of the Locke & Key series?
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I read the first Lumberjanes and liked the story but the art drove me nuts. I just like a cleaner art style I guess. I am curious to know more about the camp and the woods. :) I think I went through Vol. 1 pretty fast too because of the art- there were times when I was more reading it than looking at the art because it was kinda muddled.

    Glad the story is fun though at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! It's such a bummer when you don't like the art of a graphic novel...

      Delete