Sunday, May 21, 2017

[Book Review] Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefson

[Book Review] Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefson

Overall, I liked this book, but I do have to say that it really doesn't fall into one of my favorite genres. I also had some pretty big issues with the lack of development in both the story and the characters.

However, if light reads about angels and demons is your jam, I would definitely recommend giving this a read!

And please, don't let my personal feelings in this review affect your decision on whether or not to read this book.

Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating in any way. 





Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefsen 


Summary:
Melhara is a story about witches, angels, and demons and a struggle for power.

The demon, Alastor, wants to open the gates of Hell to free the demons. But there is a snag; he needs Kyra the Melhara to help him. Alastor puts Kyra's love of her family to the test and she does everything that she can to resist him. But his power is just too strong for her to cope with since she hasn't used her powers very much. She soon caves which allows him to use his power to get into her head and control her.

Now, the world is at risk. But can Kyra's friends and family save her before the world ends?


My thoughts:
This story began really quickly. We very briefly meet Kyra when she is younger in the prologue. Then we see her in a work setting. Next she's on a road trip with her family. And then boom, there's the demon and we are off and running right into the action.

When strictly considering the story, I can say that I enjoyed it. I liked that the action picked up almost immediately, but I do wish there had been a lot more backstory to really set the scene.

While I was reading, I had a ton of questions. I would catch myself thinking things along the lines of, "Oh wait, but that doesn't make sense," or  "how is that possible?" More than a few times I bookmarked a section to review later only to find my question was answered in the very next paragraph. So I loved that the author took things that could throw off the reader and immediately resolved them.


Beware, the negatives:
Unfortunately this really just wasn't a book for me.

First of all, I was a bit lost while reading this book. It almost felt like I had jumped into the second book of a series and missed all of the character building and backstories. Because of this, I didn't care for any of the characters simply because I didn't know much about them.

When it came to the magical elements, I was also very confused. I didn't really understand how their powers even worked or how strong any of them were. I was especially confused about the main character, Kyra. It was clear that she has some powers, but it was also mentioned that she didn't use her powers very often. So when she suddenly announced that she had mastered them with Alastor, I was totally thrown off.

I think the whole angel/demon/witch thing could have been neat, but it was just lacking the information to really make it interesting for me. Simply learning what a Malhara is, and what her role was in the prophecy was just wasn't enough.

There wasn't a sense of time within the story, so I couldn't tell how quickly the situations played out. Did this happen over a weekend, or a span of months? I have no idea.

I had a hard time with the silly actions of the characters. A lot of it seemed very oddly immature for the crisis-centered storyline. For example, the characters stuck their tongues out at each other, they poked each other, and they stomped around. Not knowing how old any of the characters were added to my confusion here.

I also struggled with the dialogue, which also seemed very immature. This was especially the case when it came to the demons.

There were a few editing errors, but nothing too major.  Examples:

  • "You are a foolish woman," he scolded her. "Very creativity though."
  • "...that moved throughout the flowers before circling back to pumped through the cycle again."
  • "The police used something similar when they'd run out if actual handcuffs during a mass arrest."


My final thoughts:
Of course, that all being said, I would like to remind readers that this genre just really isn't my thing. I also need a lot of backstory in order to be pulled into a story like this. So overall I gave this book two stars.*

As always, please do NOT let my negative review affect your decision to give this book a try! I think this would be a hit for many readers.

If you're looking for a light read about angles and demons, I would recommend giving this one a read!


Thanks for reading!
What are some of your favorite books about angels and demons?

(My Ratings: 2 Stars- Books that I didn't care for but may still recommend)

No comments:

Post a Comment