Saturday, May 13, 2017

[Book Review] Ararat by Christopher Golden

Book Review of Ararat by Christopher Golden

This book was a fun read! I loved the horror vibe and the splashes of violence always totally caught me off guard. Though I do have to say I was a bit bored at times. But overall, definitely a worth-while read!

Ararat by Christopher Golden



Summary:
This is a case where the book synopsis doesn't really match up with the actual story. So just a warning there.

The book begins with a tour guide leading a group up Mount Ararat. Suddenly, the mountain starts to shake; it was an avalanche. The tour guide immediately rushes to get back down the mountain to check on his family that lives near the base.

The story then jumps to a man named Aaron, who is waiting for his fiancee, Meryam, to tour a potential wedding hall. When Maryam shows up late, she announces that she had gotten a call from their friend, the tour guide of Mount Ararat that we met earlier. Turns out, that avalanche revealed a cave. This isn't just any cave though. This could be Noah's Arc.

Various teams rush to the area to be the first up the mountain. The first team that reaches the cave will have full rights over the exploration. Aaron and Meryam reach it first. When their team of scholars, archaeologists, and filmmakers make it inside the ark for the first time, they discover coffin. Like any good horror story, they make a very poor decision and open the coffin. It appears to hold only a misshapen cadaver... but what else did they let out when opening the coffin?


My thoughts:
I really enjoyed this book! I liked the low-key horror vibe, and how the splashes of violence totally came out of nowhere! I thought that this really helped boost the horror factor. I thought the overall storyline was very interesting. I would absolutely love to see this book turned into a movie! If it was done well, this could definitely be one of the scariest movies I have ever watched. Unfortunately, the book just fell a little flat for me.

The writing was well done. Though I will admit that there were many times where I just felt bored. I think part of this was due to the organization of the overlapping storylines. I enjoyed that we got to know each of the characters a little more during this overlapping... but some of their stories were just a bit dry.

I also picked up on a lot of repetition, which per usual, really irritated me. I think the point of the repetition was to show that the various characters had the same creepy feeling. But I definitely would have preferred a little differentiation.

I liked the characters, but I didn't love any of them. Of course, this could potentially be because each of the characters negative personality traits were brought into focus.

I loved that the suspense was there right up until the very end. Though I was a bit bummed to have figured out the twist before it happened. Still, it was a great twist!


My favorite passages:
…he glanced up at the mountain and felt a whisper of dread slide up his spine. Each time it dissipated before reaching his brain, the way dreams turned to mist and vanished in the first moments of wakefulness.

He could feel that everything had changed for them. The future would begin with this moment.

Hakan stepped nearer to them - nearer to the edge. Feyiz felt the urge to move away, but he also felt the orbit, magnetic lure of the fall that awaited if he stepped too close. That was always the case with danger, he’d found. His heart felt drawn to it, even as his mind made him back away

…with a smile so wide it had ripped his cheeks almost as far back as his ears. Blood painted his jaw and throat, streaks of vivid red that stood out against the white of the falling snow.


My final thoughts:
Overall, this book was just okay to me. Definitely worth reading, but I was just personally bored too often to say that I loved the book. I would re-read in the future! And like I said above, I would LOVE to see this as a movie!! I gave this book three stars (which is NOT a bad rating in my book!).


Thanks for reading!
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment