Tuesday, April 18, 2017

[Top 10 Tuesday] Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book

[Top 10 Tuesday] Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book

I never really thought about what made me want to read a book until I read this prompt. And I have to admit... I struggled to come up with this list! I'm just not a picky reader. So the littlest thing could convince me to add a book to my TBR.

However, while thinking about this prompt, I realized that there are a few cases where I would add a book to the very top of my TBR.


Top 10 Tuesday: Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book

Top 10 Tuesday is created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

10. A great synopsis.
To be totally honest, whether or not I read a synopsis varies; sometimes I want to know what the book is about while most of the time I want to dive in totally clueless. But there are also times when I read the synopsis, add it to my TBR, forget about it, request the title from my library on a whim, and then dive in. So in the case where I DO read the synopsis and find it really intriguing, I will occasionally bump it to the top of my TBR.


9. When I have finally purchased all the books in a series and can binge read them.
I had been working on purchasing all of the Walking Dead hardcover editions. It seriously took me three years to complete. But I now have all of the current books! I cannot wait to take a month to just binge read them!


8. Finishing a book I didn't like.
You know the feeling...you've just finished a book that you really disliked and you're bummed out. What better to cheer you up than to pick up a new book?


7. When a book is gifted to me.
I'm a total sucker for gifted books. Of course they are usually hit or miss, depending on how well the person knows me. But simply because a book was gifted to me, I will dive into it just as soon as I can. 


6. Hearing my favorite book tubers raving about it.
I follow subscribe to a lot of book tubers (check out my favorites list part 1 and part 2), and when I hear one of them raving about a book, I almost always add it to my TBR. Their excitement is so infectious!


5. Hearing about a book on All The Books podcast.
I love how Rebecca and Liberty describe the books they have read! Whenever I listen to this podcast, I make sure to have my Goodreads account open so I can quickly add the books they discuss to my TBR.


4. Finding a book I love at a bargain price in hardcover.
I'm very lucky and currently live only a few minutes drive from an awesome Goodwill store. Whenever I stop in there, I usually find a book that I absolutely love that was on my to-buy-eventually list.


3. Great cover design.
I know, I know... I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. But I do. I am a total sucker for really great cover design. Take And I Darken for example. When I saw that book cover, I checked the book out from the library and started reading that day! I ended up really disliking the book, but the cover was absolutely stunning!


2. Finding a book by one of my favorite authors that I didn’t know existed.
Always a very exciting moment!


1. Discovering that there is a graphic novel version of a book I've read or companion piece.
I really enjoy graphic novels, so finding a collection that is based on a book I have already read is always exciting! Take The Graveyard Book for example. I listened to the audio book first, then read the book. When I discovered there were graphic novel editions (part 1 and part 2), I immediately requested them from my library!


Thanks for reading!
What makes you want to read a book immediately?

6 comments:

  1. I always tell myself not to start a series that isn't finished. I hate waiting for the next installment, but I can't seem to resist doing it! Gah.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, yes! I download a lot of free ebooks while not paying full attention... and then discover that they are part of a series. I have SO many first books in various series on my kindle!

      Delete
  2. I am also guilty of judging a book by its cover. But in all honesty, if a lot of time is spent on a beautiful cover, imagine how much time was spent on the words themselves? This is how I justify my shallow love of beautiful cover art (:
    Morrighan@Elysian Fields Reviews<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love when books have graphic novel companions. It makes it so much fun to see a visual aspect of a story you've already read! Kind of like a movie, but there's less change. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I just found out that Jane Eyre has a graphic novel. I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

      Delete