Saturday, April 8, 2017

My Reading Story

My Reading Story

Phew, I cannot believe that this is already my 100th blog post!

Thank you so much for following this blog. I really, truly appreciate it. I hope you will continue to enjoy my content as much as I enjoy writing it.

In honor of this milestone, I thought I would discuss my reading story. I also put together a few top five lists that I thought you would find interesting.

Enjoy!

My Reading Story


For as long as I can remember, I have always been really into reading.

Family and friends always used to buy me books that I would read through just as quickly as I could. I had acquired so many books when I was in elementary school that my parents let me turn a closet into a little “secret" library, complete with comfy seating.

Some of my childhood memories of reading include:

  • Getting in trouble for helping a classmate sound out a word in kindergarten.
  • Meeting the famous Mabel of Mabel Takes the Ferry
  • Visiting the Owl and the Turtle bookshop in Camden, Maine and being terrified of falling down the spiral staircase (in their old location).
  • Having a friend from LA gift me the first three Harry Potter books before the craze had made it to our area.
  • Having a Harry Potter themed 4th/5th grade classroom, complete with a house points system that all of our teachers used and our own version of Quidditch. 
  • Spending hours in a Barnes & Noble with my mom when my dad and brother went to a hunting show once a year in Augusta, Maine.
  • Loving our required Sustained Silent Reading (SSR) time in middle school. 
  • Having awful insomnia in 8th-10th grade and reading an incredible number of books when I couldn't sleep.
  • Passing around my copy of The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler to anyone in my high school that would read it.

In college, my reading "for fun" started slowing down as I got deeper into my education. I still read quite a bit at UNE and Fordham. But when I was attending Kaplan University, I always had a minimum of two jobs (at one point I had four jobs, classes, and an internship), so my reading really ground to a halt then.

After I graduated and moved to New Hampshire, one of the very first things I did was go to the local library to get a library card. As incredibly cheesy as it sounds, it was like I had my "normal" life back.

Book blogging, however, is still relatively new to me. I mean, up until a couple of years ago, I hardly ever even wrote up quick reviews on Goodreads. When I started this blog, I wanted to dive deeper than I normally would. So far, I think I am doing pretty well! I really look forward to continuing on and seeing where this journey takes me.

Top Five Lists

To finish off this post, I wanted to share a couple of top five lists regarding my blog.

5 Most Popular Posts:
  1. My Favorite Bookish Podcasts
  2. [Book Tag] The Hufflepuff Appreciation Book Tag
  3. [Book Review] Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin, Megan McDowell
  4. My Favorite BookTube Channels, Part 2
  5. [Wrap-Up] March 2017

5 Least Popular Posts:
  1. [Book Review] The Otto Digmore Difference by Brent Hartinger
  2. [Graphic Novel Review] The Graveyard Book Vol. 2 by Neil Gaiman
  3. [Book Tag] The Winter Wonderland Book Tag
  4. February Romance Reads
  5. [Book Tag] The Growing Up Book Tag

Thanks so much for reading!
I seriously appreciate you all so much! If you have a blog or other self-run project, feel free to share the links in the comments section below! I would love to check out what you are all up to if I don't already follow you! This can be blog links, youtube links, Facebook page links, whatever you would like to share. 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 100th post! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the Book Squirrel blog - going nuts over Indie books with reviews, author spotlights, new release updates and more.

    www.bookssquirrel.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Navigating over right now :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the milestone! And those were lovely memories - thanks for sharing :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for sharing your link! :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations. I love reading also, and occasionally review books on my blog. Thanks for asking. https://watercresswords.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your link! :)

      Delete