Thursday, April 27, 2017

[Graphic Novel Review] Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile graphic novel review

This was such a FUN graphic novel! I need to get my hands on Volume 2 ASAP!

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile comic photo


Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile 
by Bill Willingham (Writer), Lan Medina (Artist), Steve Leialoha (Artist), Craig Hamilton (Artist), James Jean (Cover Artist)


Summary (potential spoilers): 
In this first volume, we dive right into the action of modern day New York City.

First, we see Jack rushing to report a crime to Bigby Wolf. Meanwhile, a pretty woman and a beastly looking man are talking to Snow White, Director of Operations of an underground government. Through this conversation, we learn that some of the Fable folk are now living in NYC after being lucky enough to have escaped their lands when a savage creature called the Adversary attacked. Though many of the folk did not escape. But in this new land, the folk must be able to keep their magical nature a secret from the Mundanes (regular folk). If they cannot afford a glamour or keep it secret on their own, then they are relocated to a farm upstate. Phew!

We soon discover that the crime Jack was reporting happened at Snow White's sisters apartment and that Rose Red is missing. For the rest of the volume, we follow Bigby and Snow as they work to solve the crime.


My thoughts:
I loved that this graphic novel takes elements of classic fairy tales and ads a modern twist to them. Right from page one I was hooked! I really enjoyed seeing the personalities of each of the characters that we met and I can't wait to meet more characters!

The pacing of the volume was quick, but the author also made sure to include the perfect amount of information to let the reader know what the situation was. I really appreciated how we were given the backstory because it was done in a way that was interesting and natural rather than relying on info-dumping.

The use of humor had me chuckling a lot!

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile panel


I also really enjoyed the artwork! It wasn't too over the top and the colors were lovely! Here's an example:

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile artwork



My final thoughts:
This was definitely a wonderful first volume of a series! I loved how quickly I became hooked. I can't wait to check out volume 2! Five stars!


Thanks for reading!
Have you read the Fables series yet? What did you think of them?
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about Fables but have not taken the plunge yet. And this looks like a nice beginning. I got a chuckle out of that first panel- nice that it works humor into the story! Can't wait to try these at some point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think! :)

      Delete