Monday, March 6, 2017

[Graphic Novel Review] Rat Queens, Vol. 2

Rat Queens, Vol. 2 graphic novel review

I absolutely loved Rat Queens Vol. 1, and I could not wait to get my hands on the next one. Unfortunately, this second volume was a total let down for me.

So heads up... My entire review for this volume is negative.

Rat Queens, Vol. 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth
by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch (Illustrator), Stjepan Šejić (Illustrator), Ed Brisson (Letterer)

Rat Queens vol 2 image

First of all, the artwork was incredibly inconsistent, which is my main irk with comics. And it's not that the switch was bad, necessarily, I just felt that the second half really lacked the oomph that the beginning of the comic had. Turns out, Roc Upchurch stopped illustrating the series after issue 8 and then Stjepan Šejić took over. I definitely prefer the look and tone that Roc's artwork had. Stjepan's work just seems too soft to me and the characters definitely lost their intensity.

Second, the storyline didn't seem very organized. While I did appreciate the flashbacks to help us get to know the characters a bit more, the transitions were just so jarring. I needed just a little something more to keep the storyline together...

Third, all of the humor and the excitement I had for volume one was totally gone in this second volume. There was only one time that I chuckled (panel below). I found myself bored through most of this collection.

Rat Queens, Vol. 2 panel photo


And fourth, I really didn't care about the storyline. It seemed like it all happened so quickly. Then when it was over, I had to stop and think- wait, what actually happened in this one?

My final thoughts:

Needless to say, I would not recommend this volume. I gave it just two stars. I will be reading volume three simply because I already checked it out from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment