Monday, March 27, 2017

[Book Tag] The Fantastic Beasts Book Tag

fantastic beasts book tag created by PeterClarkTheWriter

The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them DVD comes out tomorrow! WAHOO! Not going to lie, I've been counting down the days. I was so impressed by this movie and the screenplay. My boyfriend absolutely loved it too. When we left the theater, he actually announced that it was the best movie that he has seen in a long time.

So in honor of the DVD release tomorrow, I thought it would be appropriate to repost this book tag. I originally posted it on my books amino account, but it is new to this blog.

Enjoy!

The Fantastic Beasts Book Tag

(Created by PeterClarkTheWriter)

1. Niffler:
Seeking out treasure like jewelry or coins and stealing whatever they can get their claws on is their greatest skill. What is a book you've borrowed or stolen?

Death By Rhubarb by Lou Jane Temple

My copy of this book may have been stolen from a library... Though I bought the book on eBay, so I HOPE it was sold at a library book sale or something rather than being stolen. There’s a stamp on the inside that says “WITHDRAWN.” Any one know what that means?


2. Bowtruckle:
Pickett is one of Newt’s favorite creatures who has a talent for picking locks. What is your "personal favorite" book that unlocks the key to your true personality?

Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley

This one is a bit of a stretch. I don’t think it really unlocks my “true personality” but it does help show a little bit about me. I chose this book because I have really struggled to explain my anxiety to people in the past. It’s something I’ve been dealing with for a really long time. In fact, the first time that I really recognized that there was something up was in the 4th grade. In high school the anxiety got harder and harder to deal with, and after a bit of a scary situation, I wound up on medication for a while. Today, I am off the meds, but I still struggle with anxiety in certain situations but also anxiety and panic attacks that seem to come out of nowhere. And in this book, the descriptions about Soloman's anxiety are incredibly powerful. I think this book can really help someone who has never experienced anxiety to understand it a bit more.


3. Thunderbird:
One flap of a Thunderbird’s wings can create enormous storms and their power gives them the ability to sense danger. What is a book that creates a storm of discussion because of the danger it attracts?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

When I heard that this book is frequently challenged in schools I was shocked. This book was such an important one for me in my high school required reading… I really wish everyone would read it at least once.


4. Swooping Evil: 
An extremely scary creature that is capable of sucking out brains and whose venom can erase any bad memory. What is a book you'd like to forget?

Dreamstrider by Lindsay Smith

You know the curse of the second book in a series? This book felt like the second book in a trilogy to me... but it was a stand alone book. I was so annoyed because it just dove right in and didn’t really explain much. While I was reading I had SO many questions…ALL of which went unanswered...I really wish I had written them down now just so I could add them here. I also felt like this story couldn’t really decide what it wanted to be. One minute it was just a normal sci-fi storyline but then it turned into a war story, then an adventure, then a religious theme popped in, then a love story came into play complete with the overused love-triangle theme, then it became a murder mystery…then oh yeah-bach to the war story... like, what? If the author had just picked a couple of those, I think I would have liked it more. It just felt like it was trying to be too much too quickly. And the ENDING...felt SO rushed to me. Like the author was running out of space or time to write. Overall, very unimpressed. Getting through this book was an absolute chore for me.


5. Demiguise:
Peaceful beasts that can turn invisible and have light precognitive abilities, allowing them to “feel the future” and change it by anticipating outcomes. What is a book that depicts and predicts a possibly visible future, bleak or otherwise?

1984 by George Orwell

Going with a classic here. I really need to reread this book soon! I read this back before I had a Goodreads account, so I don’t have any personal notes recorded. However, I distinctly remember how creeped out I felt reading this book and linking some of the ideas to current day.


6. Occamy: 
They can grow to the size of a football field or shrink to the size of a tiny teacup. What is the largest book you own and the smallest book you own?

Largest: A Storm Of Swords by George R. R. Martin- 1177 pages
Smallest: Quidditch Through The Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp (J.K. Rowling)- 56 pages


7. Nundu:
Difficult to catch, they can move silently despite their immense size. What is an audio book you listen to silently whilst traveling?

I really need to get more into audiobooks! The last one I listened to was Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It was AMAZING. Listing to Lin narrate was an absolute treat and the story was lovely. However, I listened to this one over the course of one weekend (I was hooked), but I was not traveling…I’ve only listened to two other audiobooks.


8. Graphorn:
Newt has saved the last breeding pair and without him the species as a whole would’ve gone extinct. What is a book that is going extinct that you want to save?

Hmm. I looked at a bunch of lists of out of print books…but I didn’t see anything that really stood out to me. So for this one I am going to discuss a book that I wish was more popular. So for that, I have to choose The Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton. This book is SUCH A FUN READ! I recommend it to people all the time.


9¾. Billywig:
Their powerful sting can affect both muggles and magical folk alike. What is a book you’ve read with someone else that stung you both emotionally?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Last year, I reread the Harry Potter series with a friend and (shockingly) realized that I hadn’t read them all! I had stopped at book 5! So when I got to this book...So many tissues were needed. However, I was very proud of myself because while we were rereading this series, we would also watch the movie before moving on to the next book, and I discovered that when I stopped reading the books, I also stopped watching the movies.


10. Erumpent:
A friendly creature unless you’re a foe… their thick hide can repel most spells and charms. What is an extremely dense read that was hard for you to get through?

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway 

I started this book knowing only that it is regarded as one of Hemingway's best works. I guess he just isn't an author that I will be interested in... I had a really hard time saying focused on what was happening and I did not like the writing style. I found it very repetitive and pretty boring. The very end picked up as the action began, but it was a long time coming.

Thanks for reading!

Have you completed the Fantastic Beasts Book Tag? If so, I would love to read it! Feel free to leave a link in the comments section below. If you haven't yet been tagged, but would like to do this one; consider yourself tagged!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment