Monday, March 13, 2017

[Book Tag] The Bookish Academy Awards

The Bookish Academy Awards Book Tag

While I don't usually watch the Academy Awards, I stumbled across this tag on BookTube the other day and absolutely loved it. So of course I had to take part!

The Bookish Academy Awards was created by BOOKadoodles. Check out her original video here.  Note: Since this original video, she has updated the tag to incorporate more topics. Personally, I prefer the first tag, so that is the one I will be completing.

In this tag, I am only picking from the books that I read in 2016 that were also published in 2016. So I am dealing with some slim pickings here. But nevertheless, I think I have included some great books!

Enjoy!


The Bookish Academy Awards Book Tag

(Original Tag Created by BOOKadoodles)


Best Actor (Best Male Protagonist/leading role):

Solomon from Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley | Published May 10th 2016

When thinking about the male leads in all of the books that I read in 2016, Solomon immediately jumped out at me. Solomon is an agoraphobic teen that hasn’t left the house in three years. The things that he goes through and the things that he pushes himself to do in this book were so incredibly well written- everything felt so real! Solomon is a character that is going to stick with me for years.


Best Actress (Best Female Protagonist):

Feyre from A Court of Mist and Fury | Published May 3rd 2016

What can I say? Anyone that has read these books knows that Feyre rules!


Best Cinematography (Best Plot Twist):

The Pier Falls: And Other Stories by Mark Haddon | Published May 10th, 2016

I went into this book totally blind and really only picked it up because I had read and loved his book titled The Curious Case Of The Dog In The Nighttime. So I chose this book for this award simply because of how thrown off I was when I began to read the first story. Without spoiling anything, I will just say that before you read the first story, you need to prepare yourself for an intense reading experience!


Best Costume Design (Best Book Cover):

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling | Published November 18th, 2016

Images of this book cover just don't do it justice. You really need to see it in person to appreciate how lovely the gold embossed cover.


Best Supporting Actress and Actor (Best Male and Female Sidekick):

The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Letter | Published March 15th, 2016

Again, I don't wait to spoil anything, but I will say that the main characters friends in this book were incredible. And the poor girl really needed some great friends in her life.


Best Original Screenplay (Most Unique Plot/World):

Unfortunately I just don't have a pick for this one. I probably should have tried to do this prompt first rather than saving it for last... But when I first read the prompt, nothing came to mind. When I looked at my list of books that I read in 2016, which were also published in 2016, they were all either retellings or simply unoriginal.


Best Adapted Screenplay (Best Book-to-Movie Adaptation):

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children | Opened in theaters September 30th, 2016

It was a bit different from the book, but I still absolutely loved it! I really enjoyed seeing my favorite characters come to life!


Best Animated Feature (A book that would work well in animated format):

The Zodiac Legacy: The Dragon's Return by Stan Lee | Published January 26th 2016

This is the second book in the Zodiac Legacy series. Of course I may be a little biased because this book has a number of really lovely illustrations throughout the story, but I think it would work wonderfully as an animated series! (Voltron Netflix series creators, I'm looking at you!!)


Best Director (A writer you discovered for the first time):

Rosalie Knecht

I read Relief Map (published March 28th 2016) by Rosalie Knecht and fell in love with this authors style. The writing in this book was beautiful and wonderfully descriptive. The storyline was quick and followed a very simple path. The characters were interesting. I also really enjoyed the anxiety that this book provoked because while it was a bit creepy, it wasn't over the top. I cannot wait to read more from her!


Best Visual Effects (Best Action in a Book):

Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter | Published September 20th 2016

Vassa in the Night is about a young girl that enters a shop one night for a very simple errand. But this isn't just any shop, it's a magical place that dances around on two legs and has a shop owner that beheads shoplifters. Oh and the employees of the shop? Two severed hands... The action in this book was incredible! It was so, so, so weird...but the entire time I was reading, I could really picture what was happening. I thought it was incredible!


Best Musical Score (Best Music In A Book-To-Movie Adaptation):

Deadpool | Opened in theaters February 12th, 2016

The Deadpool movie soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I mean, it's got Shoop by Salt-N-Pepa, X Gon' Give It to Ya by DMX among other hits, and a number of the most perfect instrumentals that I could have ever imagined for this adaptation.


Best Short Film (Best Novella or Short Book):

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs | Published September 3rd 2016

This collection was absolutely everything that I was hoping for. It was like an Aesop's Fairy Tales collection for Peculiars. I loved every single one of the stories and the illustrations from Andrew Davidson were wonderfully done!


Best Picture (Best Stand-Alone):

The Fireman by Joe Hill | Published May 17th 2016

No matter what was going on in this book, I needed to read on to see what happened next. I thought the idea of the Dragonscale was interesting. I really loved or absolutely despised each of the well developed characters- there didn't seem to be an in-between. I also loved the splashes of humor and pop culture references mixed in with the horror and action. I thought that the storyline over all was incredibly well-paced. Sure, there were some bits that could be considered "slow", but I felt that after all the action, these slower parts were refreshing! I would have very happily continued to read 700 MORE pages.


Best Documentary (Best Historical Fiction Or Non-Fiction):

On Living by Kerry Egan | Published October 25th 2016.

This memoir is about a woman that works as a hospice chaplain. Though she doesn't offer sermons or prayers like you would assume, unless they are specifically requested of course. Instead, she simply sits and talks with each of the patients; sometimes she just sits with them in silence. While listening to their stories, she is blown away by each and every one. This book captures many of those stories.

This book is a must read for all. It's hopeful. It's heartbreaking. It's beautiful. And it's jam-packed with lessons that hit me harder than I was expecting them to.


Thanks for reading!

If you have completed this book tag, I would love to see it! Feel free to leave your linking in the comments section below. If you haven't yet been tagged, but would like to do this one; consider yourself tagged!
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Erica, I love this!!!! This is awesome. Can anyone participate in this Book Tag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course! :) Just make sure to credit the original creator, BOOKadoodles.

      Delete