Saturday, March 11, 2017

[Book Review] The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan

The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan book review

Are you a fan of sculpture work and Grimm fairy tales? Then you have to check out this book!

Continue on to read my quick review and preview the type of art included in this book.

The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan


The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan book image

First of all, the dedication page is absolutely adorable!

The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan dedication page

I really enjoyed the forward by Neil Gaiman; it really helped set up the rest of the book. I also loved this passage: "People need stories. It's one of the things that make us who we are. We crave stories, because they make us more than ourselves, they give us an escape and they give us knowledge. They entertain us and they change us, as they have changed and entertained us for thousands of years."

Each of the 75 sculptures included in this book are accompanied by a very brief version of various Grimm Brothers tales. Some of them I understood/remembered, but some I did not. So I really appreciated the annotated index in the back of the book; this made quite a few of the sculptures make much more sense to me!

The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan the twelve brothers

The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan thumbling


The sculptures themselves were interesting. As with most art, I really liked some of them while I was a bit weirded out by others. I really enjoyed the use of light and shadow as well as foreground and background in each of the photos featuring the sculptures. Everything was so perfectly put together and it really added to the tone of each story.




I would recommend this book to any Grimm fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment