Monday, March 27, 2017

[Book Review] The Otto Digmore Difference by Brent Hartinger

The Otto Digmore Difference by Brent Hartinger book review

Unfortunately this book was just not for me. I can definitely see where other readers would really enjoy it, so please do NOT let my negative review deter you from reading it. This book just hit on all of my personal reading irks.

Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating in any way.

The Otto Digmore Difference by Brent Hartinger


The Otto Digmore Difference by Brent Hartinger book image


Summary:
In this book we follow a twenty-six year old actor named Otto Digmore. Otto has been deemed too "different" for Hollywood because half of his face is covered in burn scars from a childhood accident. He lands a support character role on a hit tv show that puts him on the map. But when that show gets cancelled, things look bleak.

However, Otto soon gets the opportunity to audition for a role that could change everything. The casting crew loves him, but there's only one problem; he needed to audition in front of one person who is no longer in LA. So Otto and his ex boyfriend, Russel go on a while goose chase across the country to complete the audition. Their travels are filled with the most ridiculous adventures. But even if they can make it across country in time, will Otto get the role?


Beware, the negatives: 
Right off, I didn’t like the main character, Otto. He seemed incredibly self centered and whiney to me. I understand that he’s had a tough go with his facial scarring, but man…He was just way too much for me. I just felt that he came off as a very strange mix of intense cockiness but with incredibly low self esteem.

Otto's internal monologues and general thoughts were so incredibly repetitive that I couldn’t stand them. I got really sick of him because all of his thoughts were center around the same topics- none of which I was even interested in to begin with. His internal monologues did a lot of unnecessary summarizing as well…Like the author had to remind the reader what they had just read.

Of course the major theme here is Hollywood and acting. Two things that aren’t very interesting to me to begin with. So I ended up skimming quite a bit of the long winded bits centered around these themes.

I did enjoy the storyline. Honestly, that was the only thing that kept me reading. I wanted to see if Otto could make it to his audition. Of course it was a very "cliched” storyline that had a very predictable path.

But I also felt that the story dragged. I really enjoyed two scenes; the highway situation and visiting the siblings at the trailer park, but that was really it. The ending also made me really uncomfortable after all of Otto’s thoughts about still being in love with Russel...


My final thoughts:
I think I would have liked this book a lot more if it hadn’t been so darn repetitive. But unfortunately it was. I gave this two stars.

Again, please do NOT let my negative review deter you from reading it. I think most people will find this story more of a fun read than I did.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment