Friday, March 17, 2017

[Book Blogger Hop] March 17th - 23rd


Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer, where you answer a question and join a "hop". The purpose is to help bloggers discover and get to know one another. 

This Week's Question:
Do you read a lot of diverse or own voices books? Why or why not?

My Answer:
I know that this is a very heated topic in the book world, so I am going to try to keep this light.

So first things first:
Yes, I do believe that it is incredibly important to read diverse books.
Yes, I want to see every type of person portrayed in books as main characters, not just side characters.
Yes, I understand that there are a lot of very outdated issues that play a role in the publishing world.

Personally, I make sure to surround myself with great people from all walks of life in the bookish community. These bookish friends post about all kinds of books that are by and about a wide variety of people.

And this is why I love the bookish community so much!

Because there are SO many of us here on the internet blogging, vlogging, recording podcasts, and other such things. We're making sure that books that aren't necessarily "New York Times" worthy are getting a share of the limelight. It's incredible!

Thanks for reading! 

22 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree! I did not know this was a debate. It's great to be diverse but there is no harm in sticking to one or two genres you really love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the genres!

      In general though, I read this prompt more as a diverse character/author topic. That's a heated one that I've seen brought up many times.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you and Edel, I Started to read more diverse books and own voices books this year because I want to expand more my horizon in books. But I still stay with some of my favorite genres that I love as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks so much for commenting! What are your favorite genres?

      Delete
    2. My favorite genre are paranormal romance or urban fantasy.

      Delete
  3. Great answer, Erica.

    I normally stay with what I always read. Not adventurous. :)

    Thanks for coming by my blog earlier.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and of course! Thank you for stopping by here as well!

      Delete
  4. I agree with you! The book community is one of the best places around the internet!

    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's unfortunate, really, is that it's a debate at all.

    eli @ the (book) supplier
    <a href="http://wp.me/p1D93k-2zB”>My Blog Hop Answer</a>

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand why it's a debate either, to be honest. I hadn't really thought about reading diversely before I began blogging. It just wasn't on my radar. Now I try to make more of a point of it, although not as much as I probably could. Thanks for participating this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more that we need more diversity in side characters *and* main characters. I think that might be part of why I picked this question. And I 100% agree that there is a lot of privilege in blogging/vlogging/bookstagram where we're able to promote those books, even if they aren't on the NYT Bestseller list. Good response. Hope your weekend is going well! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And thanks so much for commenting! I hope you're having a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  8. Nice answer! You are SO right about the importance of surrounding oneself with bookish people from all kinds of different ethnic groups and lifestyles. They can certainly give you AWESOME recs on diverse books!!

    Since my time is pretty limited, there are only so many people I can interact with online, as well as in person. However, the Goodreads link I included in my answer to this question does have an AWESOME list of GREAT diverse books!! Be sure to check it out!! :)

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my BBH post!! Have a GREAT Sunday!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I will definitely check out your link!

      Delete
  9. I agree that it is so important to read more diverse books! Representation is so important for all kinds of readers/media consumers! Great answer!

    ReplyDelete