Wednesday, February 15, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Favorite Non-Written Novels

top 5 wednesday favorite non-written books

Welcome to another Top 5 Wednesday!

Top Five Wednesday is hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. For those of you that are interested in taking part, check out the Goodreads group here: Top 5 Wednesday.

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Non-Written Novels


This week's prompt:

This was a hard topic to name, but this is about all books that are not 'written' novels! So graphic novels, comics, manga, audiobooks, etc. Shed some light on books in other forms.



5. (Graphic Novel) Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

This was one of the first graphic novels that I read that wasn't about a "traditional" super hero, and oh my gosh! I didn't want this story to end! By page 12, I was already announcing to my boyfriend that I loved this book, and it held strong!

I really enjoyed everything about it. The storyline was fantastic, the artwork was wonderful, the characters were strong in each of their roles. Nimona's character was cracking me up on every other page, and the interactions between her and Lord Ballister Blackheart were so perfect.


4. (Audiobook) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda

I’ve only listened to three audiobooks. I keep meaning to check more of them out, but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. My reading buddy sent me this audiobook, and oh my goodness…

The story itself is beautifully written. It's about two boys trying to find their places in the world while dealing with adolescence and some issues at home. The audiobook is an absolute TREAT to listen to because it is narrated by Lin Manuel Miranda!


3. (Interactive Story) The Boat, Based on the story by Nam Le, Adaptation by Matt Huynh, Produced by SBS

The Boat is a web-based interactive graphic novel about a Vietnamese girl named Mai, who is fleeing from the Vietnam War. This was my first interactive read and I thought it was amazing! The story itself is heartbreaking, but the sound effects, the artwork, and imagery was all incredible.

If you know of any other interactive books, please comment the links below. I’d love to check them out! Click here to check out my full review for The Boat.


2. Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir by Stan Lee, Peter David, Colleen Doran (Illustrator)

What a fitting memoir for such an amazing person! I love that the storyline is set up like Stan is giving a talk to a crowd- complete with getting carried away with a story, needing to stop, back up, and fill in some details.

Throughout the book, I thought that his voice and personality were captured perfectly. You could really feel his positivity, his pain, and his struggle. And of course the artwork was lovely!


1. (Comic Series) The Walking Dead

This is, by far, my favorite comic series of all time. If in the off chance that you haven’t heard about this series, it’s a story of survival during the zombie apocalypse. I am absolutely obsessed with it. And bonus, the television show is amazing as well!

I’ve been slowly working on purchasing each hardback collection. I cannot wait to catch up with their publication schedule!

Thanks for reading! 

What are some of your favorite "non-written" novels?
SaveSave

6 comments:

  1. Great list. I have never heard of the Boat. I will definitely check out you review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to hear what you thought of The Boat once you check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. I've got the novel The Boat but haven't read it yet. That interactive edition sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I'd love to know what you think of the novel once you've read it!

      Delete
  3. I still haven't listened to any audiobooks - shame on me! I have been meaning to read Aristotle and Dante, though... Maybe that can be my starting point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely be a wonderful starting point! :) I sometimes struggle with audiobooks because I let my mind wander. If that happens to you, I'd recommend following along with the book at the same time :)

      Delete