Wednesday, February 22, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Books To Get You Out Of A Reading Slump

Top 5 Wednesday Books To Get You Out Of A Reading Slump

When I’m feeling a little slumpish, I usually like to either switch things up or just read a short book.

When I switch things up, I like to listen to an audiobook or read a graphic novel. Click here to check out some of my favorite “non-written” books.

But other times, I have found that reading short books will usually snap me out of it. In this post, I will share five of my favorite short (page-wise or simply quick-to-read) books.

Top Five Wednesday is hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. For those of you that are interested in taking part, check out the Goodreads group here: Top 5 Wednesday.

Top 5 Wednesday: Books To Get You Out Of A Reading Slump 


This week's prompt:

Winter is a hard season for a lot of people and many of us are slumpy. Let's talk about some books that are great for getting you out of a slump! 


5. The Tales of Beedle the Bard  by J.K. Rowling 

I really enjoyed all of the short stories inside this book. They were such a joy to read and getting a little more info into the world of Harry Potter was lovely.


4. For One More Day by Mitch Albom

This book is 208 pages long, but it reads very quickly because the book is small. It is just one of those books that I think everyone needs to read at least once in their lifetime. The storyline was organized very well, the characters were developed perfectly, and the message of the story was just amazing. It really got you thinking.


3. Egghead: Or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone by Bo Burnham, Chance Bone (Illustrator)

When I'm asked who my favorite comedian is, Bo Burnham is the one that comes to mind immediately. I love his his songs, his comedy shows, and now- his poetry! I loved that I could read these poems in Bo's voice.

These poems are a lovely mix- funny, thought-provoking, sad, political, raw, heartwarming, dark... I loved how Bo's writing can draw you right in, but then takes a twist that catches you totally by surprise. And the drawings by Chance Bone were lovely!


2. Last Date by Uwe Andreas Siebert, Elena Mancini (Translation)

I finished this book in just two sittings because I absolutely could not put it down! I was hooked from the very first chapter through the very last sentence.

Sure, it is a bit gory and twisted and I can see where that just isn't for some people, but I thought it was fantastic. It truly scared me, which not many thriller books can do.


1. Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket 

I absolutely LOVED this collection. The selections are hilarious, thought provoking, touching, and sometimes a mix of the three! I recognized a few of the passages from different Series of Unfortunate Events books, but the majority of them seemed new.

I read this book in less than a half hour and kept interrupting my boyfriend's video game session to read some of the passages to him when he heard me laugh and asked, "What did that passage say?”


Thanks for reading!

What are your tips and tricks for getting out of a reading slump?
SaveSave

4 comments:

  1. #4--GREAT choice and I agree with your opinion that everyone should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have #5, but haven't read it yet! Personally, I usually have more than one book going on. I read books like I watch shows. Lol. It keeps things interesting and I read according to whatever I feel for that night 😊
    Sometimes I take a break too and just not read.

    ReplyDelete