Wednesday, February 8, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Book Trends I'm Tired Of

top 5 wednesday book trend i'm tired of

Wahoo! We've reached another Top 5 Wednesday!

Top Five Wednesday is hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. For those of you that are interested in taking part, check out the Goodreads group here: Top 5 Wednesday.

Top 5 Wednesday: Book Trends I'm Tired Of


This week's prompt:
What are some things you are tired of seeing that are trends in publishing? Maybe something that pops up on a lot of covers these days, or the popularity of certain tropes in a particular genre? Let it out! 


5. The use of "girl" in a book title when the book is about a female over the age of 20

I really don't know what the deal is here, or whether publishing has stats available on why this is a people keep thinking this is a good idea. But it seems to me that after The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo became popular, I suddenly started seeing "girl" in titles all over the place. And yet, none of the books seemed to be about anyone under 20. It just doesn't make much sense to me and at this point it seems very unoriginal.


4. The love triangle

I've said it many times before; I am so over this trope. There are very few instances where I thought that a love triangle actually added to the story. But in general, I think it just adds unnecessary drama. In many cases, I find that a love triangle actually takes away from the story itself. But perhaps that is only because I dislike it so much.


3. When the back of the book has praise for a different book

Yes, I should really pay more attention... But when I pick up a book, quickly read the back, and see people raving about the story, I just assume that they are raving about the book that I have in my hands. Unfortunately, this has tricked me more times than I would like to admit.

Sorry authors, I don't care about your other books just yet. I want to read quotes that are only about the book that I have that in my hands. If I end up liking this book, then I will look into your other work.


2. Poorly designed movie tie-in book covers

I totally understand the marketing behind movie tie-in book covers. I'll admit that I think some of them look really nice! Personally, I wouldn't buy the movie edition unless it was an absolutely stunning cover. But hey, if this helps get great books into more readers hands, I'm all for it!

What I don't understand is when it seems that hardly any thought was put into the movie tie-in cover design. Sometimes they try to cram too many people or features from the movie onto the cover and it ends up looking too cluttered. While on other occasions they just take a close up of the main characters face, add the title, throw "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" on it, and call it a day.

The best example of a poorly designed movie tie-in cover? The Twilight series. I LOVED the original series design. They were so simple! The colors and tones were lovely and they all looked amazing side by side. But the movie covers... Now I know you should never judge a book by it's cover. But if I had seen the movie cover of Twilight before I read the book, there is no way that I would have picked it up. It's like someone threw a photo into photoshop, bumped the contrast up way too high, threw on the text without really paying attention, and then ran with it.


1. Book covers that don't actually cover the book

WHY is this a thing?! The book cover is there to protect the pages, right? So why in the world would you design a cover that stops short? I just don't understand. It drives me crazy.


Thanks for reading!
Are you sick of any of the trends that I mentioned above? Let me know in the comments section below.

4 comments:

  1. Those covers with the fold-over bug me, too, now that you mention too short covers. They sort of mimic a dust jacket. And the deckle edge paper back. Oh please...its a freakin' paper back! lol

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/top-five-wednesday-book-trends-im-tired-of/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your #3!! And it reminded me of another trend I am not a fan of! When the back of a paperback doesn't have a synopsis of the story! But instead just praise! So you have no idea what the book is about, just instead you know certain people liked it.

    ReplyDelete