Tuesday, February 21, 2017

[Top 10 Tuesday] Books I Enjoyed More Than Anticipated

Top 10 Tuesday Books I Enjoyed More Than Anticipated

I'll add books to my TBR list for a number of random reasons. However, when I finally get around to reading most of these books, I have totally forgotten why I wanted to read them in the first place! Because of this, I go into most books semi-blind. Of course there are also plenty of times that I go into a book after I have hyped it up only to be let down, while in other situations the book totally lived up to the expectations that I had for it!

In this situation, I will be discussing books that I enjoyed a lot more than I had originally anticipated.

Top 10 Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed More Than Anticipated


This week's prompt:
Ten Books I Loved Less/More Than I Thought I Would (recently or all time). Or you could do something like, books I liked more/less than everyone else. 

Top 10 Tuesday is created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


10. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain 

This book was given to me and the poor book was in very rough shape. For some reason I let that affect my expectations about the book itself, which was incredibly silly. This was such a great suspenseful read!


9. Schooled in Revenge by Jesse Lasky 

I picked this book up on a whim when I saw it on a sale shelf. I love the show, Revenge, so it was a very obviously impulse buy. I really wasn't expecting much from this book, but I really enjoyed it! The pacing was very upbeat and I couldn't wait to see what happened next.


8. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

This book was given to me by one of Alex's family members. I had never read any Nicholas Sparks, but I knew that he was an author known for cheesy romance books that are mass published. So needless to say, I put this pretty low on my TBR list. When I finally picked it up and started reading, I was drawn into the story very quickly. I loved all of the twists and turns, even if a few were predictable, some caught me totally off guard!


7. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

When I was in high school, I was definitely on the Twilight train. I wouldn't say that I was obsessed, but I did read the books all one right after the other. At the time, I really enjoyed them! So when I picked up this book, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as the Twilight series.... but I actually liked this one more! I've re-read it a few times, and I still absolutely love it.


6. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (Dash & Lily #1) by Rachel Cohn, David Leviathan

I really have no idea what my issue was here... My reading buddy had been raving about this book for over a year. But I just kept pushing it back on my TBR because for some reason I just wasn't excited about it. When I finally read it, I thought that this book was adorable! The characters were both super cute and I loved the idea behind the little red notebook!


5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke 

I snagged this as a free ebook. From the title and the synopsis, I thought that this book may be a quick and fun read, but nothing too exciting. I was happily proven wrong! I enjoyed reading this much more than I thought I would! I still need to track down the other books in the series.


4. Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

I picked this book up from my local library simply because I loved the cover. The book begins with the main character, Jane Steele, speaking of the murders she had committed and stating how writing her story down was proving to be more difficult than she thought it would be. After two short paragraphs, we dive right into the story! I was hooked immediately and had a very hard time putting the book down.


3. On Living by Kerry Egan

I originally picked up this book just to read it to see if it would be a good gift for a couple of my family members. I absolutely adore this book and think that it is a must read for all. It's hopeful. It's heartbreaking. It's beautiful. And it's jam-packed with lessons that hit me harder than I was expecting them to. This is now one of my all time favorite books.


2. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

This book was assigned reading when I was in high school. Reading the back cover, I wasn't super impressed. After all, a book about boxing, a sport that I had zero interest in, just didn't seem like it would be all that exciting. I was very wrong! This is my favorite book.


1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 by John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

I had preordered this book long before a publish date was set. But then Amazon messed up the shipping. Because of that, I had a few days to hear about all the super negative reviews. I ended up cancelling my order. Though I still wanted to give the book a read eventually, so I requested it from my local library. When I finally got my hans on it, I actually really enjoyed it! Of course I had many issues with it overall, but I ended up giving it a solid four-star rating.


Thanks for reading!
What are some books that caught you off guard either in a good way or a bad way?

2 comments:

  1. Great Post Erica :) Safe Haven, Dash and Lily's Book of Dares and The Host are all on my TBR, maybe your praise might motivate me to read them ;) One of the books that caught me off guard was Poison Study by Maria V Snyder because the beginning was slow and Valek was starting to annoy me but by the end I was blown away and I gave it 5 stars :) I hope you enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Oh good! I hope you enjoy them! And thanks for the recommendation, I'm definitely going to add Poison Study to my TBR!

      Delete