Sunday, February 12, 2017

[Book Tag] The Growing Up Book Tag

The growing up book tag

Welcome to the Growing Up book tag! This tag was created by a booktuber named Emily of Possibly Literate. To check out her original video, click here. The prompts are all about different stages of your life, which range from preschool to adulthood.

Enjoy!

The Growing Up Book Tag


1. Pre-school: It's okay to admit it, you're just in it for the pictures. What's your favorite illustrated book?

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

This was one of the first books that I remember actually appreciating the artwork rather than just briefly looking at it and moving on with the story. I think that Brett Helquist’s style is so unique and incredibly perfect for this series! Even today, after I have watched the movie adaptation and the Netflix series, when I think about this series, I still imagine the illustrations.


2. Kindergarten: NAP TIME! What's a book that put you to sleep?

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2) by Sabaa Tahir 

I had pretty high hopes for this book since I really enjoyed the first in the series. Unfortunately, I thought that this one was much slower than the first and at times I got bored. I just didn't feel like the book had enough "oomph." Kind of like the author rushed it.... I just didn't care about the characters or anything that happened.


3. Elementary School: Recess and story time and jungle gyms--SO MUCH FUN. What's a book or series that's just plain fun?

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

I had so much fun with this book! If you haven’t read it yet, I have to warn you to be careful with this one; once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down! I was hooked very, very early on and ended up reading all day and into the night until I finished it.


4. Middle School: The awkward and embarrassing years... What's a book or series that you're embarrassed you used to be a huge fan of?

Unfortunately, I can’t think of anything for this prompt. I’ve never been embarrassed about reading anything. So instead, I talk a little about middle school. When I was in middle school, I had really horrible insomnia. Because I would only sleep 2-3 hours a night, I stayed up reading. I read an incredible number of books during this phase of my life; I really wish I had kept a reading journal!


5. High School: The popular girl, the jock, the nerd, the loner--these are all stereotypes, but people are more than they appear!! Who is a character that you initially wrote off as a trope/stereotype but grew to love?

Your Heart Is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa

Victor, described in the book synopsis as, "a boyish, scrappy world traveler” was not a character that I thought I was going to like at all. When we first “meet” him in the book, we learn that he has run away from home and has been selling marijuana to live. And I gotta say, I was so ready to write him off as just another druggie (a character that I have zero interest in reading about). However, when Victor stumbles across the anti-globalization protestors and gets involved in the protests, I was a bit amazed with his bravery. Of course, you could argue that he had just fallen to peer pressure at first, but after things turned really nasty, I found that I had developed some respect for this character.


6. College: Out on your own, forging your own path, making your own schedule. What is your favorite coming-of-age story?

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

I adore this book. Watching Peekay grow up was such a powerful journey. If you haven’t read this book, I would highly recommend checking it out!


7. Adulthood: Taxes and retirement accounts and car payments OH MY. All depressing, but you still have a sense that the world is your oyster. What is a book that's pretty depressing, but also has a sense of optimism to it?

The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Letter 

This book was dark and absolutely heartbreaking- but also hopeful. This was actually a very tough read for me and I found myself taking a lot of breaks just to distance myself from the story. Was it worth reading? Absolutely. This is an important read. I would highly recommend it, just prepare yourself for a rollercoaster of emotions.


Thanks for reading!
Have you done this book tag? If so, feel free to share your links in the comments section below! If you haven't yet been tagged, but would like to do this one; consider yourself tagged!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I agree about A Torch Against the Night, it wasn't as good as the first one! Which is such a bummer, because I was really excited for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete