Tuesday, January 10, 2017

[Book Review] Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda book review


I have to begin by saying that it took me a while to get into this book.

Partially because I had just read another YA book, and for some reason reading YA genres back to back has started to really bother me. And partially because when I first started reading this, it was like I was transported right back to high school...which is a time that I really don't care to reflect upon.

I mentioned to my reading buddy that I may have to DNF this book, but she convinced me otherwise. And I am pretty happy that she did!

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli


simon vs the homo sapiens agenda book photo

So, back to my comment about being transported right back into high school? The authors writing was wonderful. She really made it all seemed so real! Like I was actually attending the school, meeting the characters, and seeing things happen. Which, if I were still in high school, I think I would have enjoyed a lot more. At 26, it just wasn't holding my interest.

The storyline was very simple. We encountered the typical high school drama twists and turns. And of course there was the mystery of trying to figure out who the mysterious "Blue" is, which I really enjoyed! The romance was very cute. I loved that Blue and Simon fell in love over email without knowing what each other looked like.

From page one, I thought that this author absolutely nailed the teenage boy persona. One of the quotes on the back of the dust jacket says, "Are we absolutely certain that Becky Albertalli didn't just steal the diary of a hilariously observant teenage boy?"- Tim Federle. And I think that sums it up pretty well!

My Favorite Passages:
I take a sip of my beer, and it's- I mean, it's just astonishingly disgusting. I don't think I was expecting it to taste like ice cream, but holy fucking hell. People lie and get fake IDs and sneak into bars, and for this?

There's no such thing as a good idea when you're in seventh grade.

I keep thinking about what my dad said. You're pretty brave, kid.
Maybe I am.


My final thoughts:
So while this wasn't one of my personal favorites, I would definitely recommend this book to a reader that was looking for a cutesy LGBTQ read! I gave this book three stars.


Thanks for reading!
If you have read this book, I would love to know what you thought about it! Feel free to comment below or leave a link to your book review.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment