Friday, January 6, 2017

[Book Review] Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar

rocks fall everyone dies book review

Here we finally have it! My first book review of 2017.

Note: Please read my WHOLE review! Very important here since the beginning is quite negative and I don't want to sway anyone away from this book!

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar


Rocks Fall Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar book photo


The whole idea behind this book seriously rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t know why the book description wasn’t a red flag…I mean, "Aspen Quick can reach inside you with his mind and steal anything he wants- knowledge, memories, sobriety, even love. It’s a powerful skill he’s always taken for granted He doesn’t care how it affects you; you’ll never know what he’s doing, so you’ll never catch him.” Uh, YIKES!

While the main character, Aspen Quick, does use his power for good to help the cliff and save the town, he also uses it like you’d expect a typical hormone crazed teenager- to manipulate people for his own selfish reasons. Like to break up his two best friends so he can date the girl...only to continuously steal her memories and feelings so she stays with him. Not cool.

There’s one scene where Aspen takes something away from his girlfriend…and this happens:
“She sounded like she really meant it- which mean my work was done. I didn't have to take anything else away from her. Not today, at least.” UGH.

And of course we have the horrible situation of the main character “accidentally” cheating, acknowledging the cheating, stopping, then cheating yet again.

I was getting so annoyed with the main character that I debated DNFing...

BUT THEN!

Things finally (and very predictably) blew up in the main characters face. That’s when the book takes a turn and I was totally hooked. So worth pushing through the first half of the book to get to the second half! I really enjoyed the twists and turns that lead up to the ending.

My favorite passages:

February always sucks. This is a scientific fact.

To the southwest was the Hill, a weird lump of land that looked like it had once wanted to grow up and be a real mountain, but had forgotten to eat its vegetables along the way.

Death, unfortunately, doesn't make fools any less foolish.

My final thoughts:

Overall, this book was very easy to read. I liked the writing style a lot because of the simplicity and how real all the dialogue seemed. Even though I didn’t like the main feature of the book, I did like that it makes the reader really think about consent! I gave this book three stars.

Thanks for reading!

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment