Wednesday, December 28, 2016

[Book Tag] 25 Bookish Facts About Me

25 bookish facts about me

For months I have been debating whether or not I wanted to start a "real" book blog rather than just using various book apps and websites. I finally decided to take the plunge in 2017.

But per usual, once I decide to start something, I get super antsy about it! So I've decided to just dive in a bit earlier.

I saw this book tag floating around on Books Amino and I thought it would be a fitting one to begin with.

So here it goes!

25 Bookish Facts About Me


1. I don't purchase books for myself very often. 
Partially, because I always get the worst buyers remorse, but also because I only want to own books that I know I will re-read every now and again. However, purchasing books for friends and family is a different story.

2. I visit my local library at least bi-weekly. 
One of my favorite things about my local library is the option to request books online. The catalogue shows all the books that are in the New Hampshire library system, so if a certain book isn't available at my local library, I can order it from another library. When the books are ready, I get an email notification. 

3. I prefer hardcover to paperback.
I never had a really strong preference one way or the other until I started dating my boyfriend. He brought up hardcover vs. softcover one day, and since then, I've preferred the hardcover. I think it is mostly because I don't like how the mass produced softcover books look on my shelves when they are next to the hardcovers and tall paperbacks.  

4. I dream of having beautiful shelves.
My boyfriend and I are currently renting a town house, so we don't have the space for bookshelves. To make due for now, I have one "real" bookshelf. It is one from my childhood that we stuck under my standing desk. It's the smallest bookshelf I've ever seen, but it works for now! I also have multiple wooden crates that I painted white and stacked up in a corner between a wall and a closet door. These crates are totally filled with books! And recently, I also took over one and a half shelves of my boyfriends hutch with a few of my series collections after we had an incident with leaky windows where the books were once located.  

5. I had a "secret" library when I was little.
My parents and grandparents were so awesome. They always seemed to be buying me books! At one point, when I was in 5th or 6th grade, I had so many books that my parents helped me turn a walk in closet into a "secret" library, complete with a lamp, comfy pillows, and blankets.

6. Even though I have a bunch of bookmarks, I hardly ever end up using them.
I need to stop using just whatever (post-it notes, tissue, receipt paper, my library card, etc.) and actually use one of the dozen real bookmarks I have!

7. I really enjoy using my Kindle.
When I first got my Kindle, I signed up for two email lists that send me lists of ebooks that are on sale or free. Since then, I have downloaded one here and there. One of my goals for this year is to finally read them! 

8. I love graphic novels and comics.
At the beginning of last year I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and I loved it so much! Unfortunately, I had to cancel my subscription after a few months because I reworked my budget and had to make some cuts. I am hoping to re-sub soon!

9. I cannot stand when someone mis-treats a library book.
I understand that accidents happen when reading. But my goodness. So many times this year I have checked a book out from the library just to return it without reading it because it either reeked of cigarette smoke so badly that it gave me an asthma attack, or it was so full of food crumbs that many of the pages were stuck together. Gross!

10. I don't like when people dog-ear books. 
If you own the book, dog- ear away! If you don't own the book, don't mistreat it.

11. I refuse to lend out books.
In tune with the last two facts, I no longer lend books out to anyone. Too many books were returned damaged with no apology, while others never returned at all. 

12. I LOVE Litsy.
This app is lovely. It's like a combination of Goodreads and Instagram. If you have an account, feel free to check out my profile! My username on there is ericarobynreads. 

13. I'm also on Books Amino.
Books Amino is where I have been doing the majority of my book blogging, so feel free to follow me there if you have an account! My name on there is simply Erica Robyn. 

14. I am a bit obsessed with goodreads.
While I'm talking about book apps, I may as well throw this one in here! I love how much you can do on goodreads! While I don't add anyone that I don't actually know in person, I love following various accounts that have similar preferences in books. And the giveaways....how neat is that feature?! Feel free to check out my profile, here.

15. I have a really hard time DNFing books. 
I'm usually too stubborn to give up on a book. But I'm trying to break the habit!

16. I walk around the house with my nose in a book far too often.
My boyfriend hates it. He's always worried that I will get hurt. But to be honest, we worry about me hurting myself when I'm paying full attention... I'm so clumsy. 

17. I'm a sucker for bookish things.
I recently discovered Out Of Print and Frostbeard Studio... The self control needed to stop myself from ordering everything was amazing. 

18. I struggle with audio books. 
While I love being able to listen to an audio book while driving, exercising, or doing household chores, I feel like I miss out on some of the details of the story. I also struggle with the pace of audio books when I try to read a physical copy while listening. I tried Audible once as a free trial and absolutely loved it because you can adjust the readers speed. I would love to subscribe there someday when I can afford it! 

19. In 4th and 5th grade, my classroom was Hogwarts themed.
At the beginning of the year the teacher sorted us into houses, though I cannot remember for the life of me which house I was in. She also created a point system that all of our other teachers used. We even had our own version of Quidditch (using various gym items including basketballs, roller carts, and a crazy ball as the snitch) that we were allowed to play once a month.

20. Talking about Hogwarts- I'm a Hufflepuff!
I absolutely love the Harry Potter phenomena! I think it is so neat that there is a website where you can be sorted and discover what wand you would have (Pottermore). I love both the books and the movies. I absolutely cannot wait to see what the next movies in the Fantastic Beasts will be like! 

21.  I love writing down quotes from books.
In fact, I usually put my favorite quotes at the bottom of each of my book reviews! I also use my favorite quote from each book I read to post on my Litsy and Instagram. 

22. I would love to name my future children using character names from my favorite books. 
I already have a note doc on my computer that lists the names I like from books. One of which I am set on using. But we will see what the future brings!

23. I prefer stand alone books to series.
Don't get me wrong, there are a number of book series that I absolutely love! But there is just something so nice about reading a book that has a solid ending. Recently I have realized that when a book I want to read has a little #1 next to it, I bump it lower down on my TBR list. This is mostly because I like reading through the entire book series right back to back. So if I don't feel like I have the time to read a whole series, I will wait to pick up book one. 

24. Drinking tea and reading while sitting in a comfy spot is my absolute favorite thing. 
For my birthday this year, my boyfriend got me a lovely reclining lawn chair and side table. Sitting outside enjoying the summer weather with a cup of tea and a book was absolutely wonderful!

25. I want a bookish tattoo SO BAD.
I've had so many ideas over the years, but I have yet to think of one that I really want. I am currently thinking about a simple stack of books and maybe a cup of tea, but we'll see. I already have four tattoos so I want to make sure the bookish one I choose will flow well with the others. 

Thanks for reading!

If you made it this far, thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed my first post. I'm really excited about blogging more often using this platform!

And, if you haven't yet been tagged, but would like to do this one; consider yourself tagged! 

No comments:

Post a Comment